Oil cooler plumbing

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Mc Tool
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Oil cooler plumbing

Post by Mc Tool »

I have recently scored a 3.9 and it comes with oil cooler lines off the filter casting .My question is, Is this a thermostatically controlled or not .
I am fitting this motor to a Capri and I have had to reduce sump capacity ( to about 3 litres ) to fit in behind existing X member ( in NZ if I modify the X member all welding has to be done by a certified welder.......$$$ ). My idea is to fit some sort of receiver in either the cooler lines or the remote filter lines that holds a couple of litres . The other option is to use two large remote filters to boost capacity.
Thanks guys .

I wish I was young again , Id be heaps smarter than the first time

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Re: Oil cooler plumbing

Post by Ian Anderson »

Hi, not sure if your cooler out is thermostatically controlled.

However for your oil volume you could add some wings on the side of the sump to make extra volume

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

Mc Tool
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Mc Tool »

Hi Ian ,yep thought of that but that space is already booked for the exhausts and starter. Im trying to get the lump in without modifying the car so I can return it to stock if needed, so I am having to work around engine mounts and steering shaft . If I mod the steering in any way at all I will have to fit a collapsable coloum to get it legal ( mk 4-5 cortina is good as all the capri switches fit straight on). I can live with 3l in the sump , just have to do more oil changes , but I would rather have 5l . Thanks for your idea tho .
Hamish

Rennerman

Post by Rennerman »

You're doing your own oil changes, right Hamish?

Mc Tool
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Mc Tool »

Yes I am, well planning on it when I get it going ,I do my own maintainance except once I paid the cvt man to change that oil and filter :D

Return to “Engines Area”