Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

harvey
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Re: Difference

Post by harvey »

DaveEFI wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:13 pm
I looked at fitting A ZF 4HP auto to my SD1. Sadly, due to being made to fit the 4WD installation, the bell housing is deeper than needed and fouls the bulkhead. As does the 2WD Sherpa version. Presumably plenty room in a Sherpa, so just used the existing parts.
If you were really keen to do the ZF conversion on your SD1, you could go the same way as done on the Stag ZF conversion, using a BW35 bellhousing, mated to the ZF box, which shortens the front end of the box, so hoefully giving you the required clearance.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Wonder how easy that is? I did consider taking a chunk out of the Land Rover bell housing, and welding it up. But then decide if it wasn't going to be simple to do, be better to fit a 5 speed auto instead. Since after market ECUs are now available. But then just gave up. :D
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

harvey
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by harvey »

DaveEFI wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:44 pm
Wonder how easy that is? I did consider taking a chunk out of the Land Rover bell housing, and welding it up. But then decide if it wasn't going to be simple to do, be better to fit a 5 speed auto instead. Since after market ECUs are now available. But then just gave up. :D
AFAIK it needs a plate made to join the 6 bolts on the BW35 bellhousing to the front of the ZF box. Then the ZF converter fits to the Stag flexplate, (so no reason why it won't fit the Rover one). The reason it fits is because you're losing that extra 2-3 inches between the Range Rover starter plate and the flexplate. (That spacer). The spacer between the RV8 flexplate and crank, and maybe the crank itself may need machining to accept the ZF converter spigot, but I don't remember that actually being mentioned, so I suggest you have a google. I did look into how it was done a while back, simply to find out how easy it was if, as in your application, space was at a premium. ISTR I didn't actually ask anyone, (on the basis most were companies and I figured that if I asked they wouldn't tell me anyway) but there were a lot of pics and info out there if you have a google. (Which is all I did).

PS. I just had a google myself and it mentioned machining the converter, which is presumably machining the spigot to fit the crank.

Mc Tool
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Mc Tool »

I have fitted a 4hp22 to my rv8. I got a full hydraulic box from a bmw , a rangerover bell housing and torque conv ect ( bolts straight on and spigot fits rv8 crank). Its no longer than the 5 speed toyota box and bell housing . Happy to post pix and measurements if you want .
I wish I was young again , Id be heaps smarter than the first time

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

It's the depth of the of the bell housing that caused to problem here. It is more than is needed just to contain the TC - with spacers fitted between drive plate and TC. So the back of the box bolts on directly to the R R transfer unit. That extra depth caused it to foul on the bulkhead. And modifying the bulkhead outside my paygrade. :D
With the Stag, there is no ZF bell housing that fits the Stag engine anyway. So either an adaptor plate or a custom bell housing would be needed.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

harvey
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by harvey »

DaveEFI wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:00 am
So either an adaptor plate or a custom bell housing would be needed.
Hence using the BW35 one.

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

Rossco wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:13 pm
Chris, I know it's been a few years since I last used an LT77 but the bellhousing on a 4wd LT77 is considerably longer than that on a 2wd. I stand to be corrected.

This is correct. The 4x4 applications are different to 2WD, with different input shaft lengths as well as the obviously different output setup to accommodate the transfer case.
Cheers,
John

ratwing
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ratwing »

Mc Tool wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:06 pm
I have fitted a 4hp22 to my rv8. I got a full hydraulic box from a bmw , a rangerover bell housing and torque conv ect ( bolts straight on and spigot fits rv8 crank). Its no longer than the 5 speed toyota box and bell housing . Happy to post pix and measurements if you want .
The LT77 behind my 4.6 Rover is getting noisy so I'd be interested to see them please.

Mc Tool
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Mc Tool »

Ok , a few dimentions 4hp22
Spigot nose to bellhousing face. 50mm
Bell housing length 200mm
Trans length 540mm
Ring gear assy length as pictured 65mm
Oal 740mm

Toyo
Bellhousing 160mm
Oal 740mm
Attachments
IMG_20200124_123417.jpg
IMG_20200124_123359.jpg
IMG_20200124_123346.jpg

Mc Tool
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Mc Tool »

The oal measurement is from the bellhousing front face to the end of the rubber drive coupling onthe 4hp , and from bellhousing face to the end of the black shield that surrounds the universal joint.
This trans came from a bmw and is the same as the 4wd except the transfer box. The bell housing off a rr tilts the trans 10 deg to the right , in the pic the bellhousing is level and the socket under the pan is 40mm high. My plan was to cut the front ,side and back of the pan and bend it down till level and then weld in a wedge shaped bit of panel steel. The rr has a deeper sump and pick up than the 2wd . A smarter move would be to get a trans from a Jag ( they put these trans's in heaps of cars ) as it has a speedo drive ( bmw one is on the diff ). This trans is full hydraulic with a switched wire for the converter lock up. I removed the bmw bell housing , fitted the rr one ( must remove front cover of trans to do this) and fitted the rr converter to the trans (straight fit ) . The spacers in the ring gear assy looks to add about an inch to the overall length. With the correct bell housing my 5 speed toyota box could be changed out for a 5 speed 4wd toyota box. Have a google of toyota w series 5 speeds as some are stronger than others and there are some variation in ratios
Hope this helps :)
Attachments
IMG_20200124_123346.jpg
IMG_20200124_123440.jpg
IMG_20200124_123311.jpg

tolley

Post by tolley »

what about all alternator ,water pump ,distributor, coil etc are they in the same place ?

paul c
Getting There
Getting There

Post by paul c »

tolley wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:17 pm
what about all alternator ,water pump ,distributor, coil etc are they in the same place ?
Distributors are in the same place, water pumps are different between the car and RR, changing the timing cover to suit will fix this. Alternators are usually bolted to the heads and or timing cover and also vary on different model years

Return to “Engines Area”