Excessive Smoke - Help

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Mej999@icloud.com

Excessive Smoke - Help

Post by Mej999@icloud.com »

Hi,

I bought a V8 engine that was smoking excessively when revved up, no problem ticking over.

In order to rule out over fuelling, fitted a manifold with SU carbs on, no different.

Stripped down and found that the 4.6 had 3.9 heads fitted. Engine was extremely clean inside.

I found 5 of the rubber washer type valve stem seals had split/come off and thought that that was the problem.

Pulled all pistons out and no broken rings, bores all looked ok. Fitted new Big End bearings while I was in there.

Rebuilt, new head gaskets, valve stem seals (Cup type) etc and no difference, still smoking badly. Tried to upload video, but can not seem to manage. Smoke is very smelly.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Michael

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Re: Excessive Smoke - Help

Post by unstable load »

What colour is the smoke?
As a general rule of thumb, blue smoke is oil, black is fuel and white can be steam or brake fluid from the booster.
Cheers,
John

Mej999@icloud.com

Difficult to distinguish. Blue black, probably more blue. Certainly not white

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Can you run a compression test and a leakdown test? Sounds like it could be rings not bedded in.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Yup - if the pistons were out, did you fit new rings and de-glazed the bores? But if it was doing it before, maybe not the answer. Have you checked all the the crankcase breather system is clear?
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Mej999@icloud.com

Hi,

I have ran it for a while this afternoon and things are better, rings may be bedding in as suggested.

I have also tested the Maf and voltages are higher than stipulated, so I think it is poss a conbination of oil getting past the rings and over fuelling.

Return to “Engines Area”