4.0l Thor v8 oil leak

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Discoman123

4.0l Thor v8 oil leak

Post by Discoman123 »

Hi all

Looking for a bit of advise not long had the headgaskets done on my discovery 2 v8 and now after about 1800 miles it’s developed a oil leak. I’ve had a good look and can see that the top of the valley gasket is covered in oil so my opinion is that the source although it was recently changed or the other source that I can’t see that it is the timing casing leaking and throwing oil up ?. It’s going back to the garage where it had the previous work done and just want to get some opinions first and any other reasons than a rubbish gasket used

Thanks
Kris

Quagmire
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Re: 4.0l Thor v8 oil leak

Post by Quagmire »

I've had this on mine once before when I actually forgot to tighten down the clamps that hold the valley gasket at each end. :oops: The manual states to finger tighten them and then torque up, I did the first but forgot the second stage.

The rubber seals that go between the block and the valley gasket are also not always the best and sometimes need a slight trim with a sharp knife before fitting, i guess if these weren't sealing correctly the outcome could be similar.

Timing case should not have been disturbed during head change, so if it wasn't leaking before it shouldn't be leaking now.
1974 Rover 3500s
1984 3.5 90
1959 2.25 series 2

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 4.0l Thor v8 oil leak

Post by DaveEFI »

I'd first check the rocker cover gaskets. A leak there can find its way into the valley. And they're the easiest to check.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Return to “Engines Area”