Possibly the dumbest V8 question ever ?

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

30EK42

Possibly the dumbest V8 question ever ?

Post by 30EK42 »

I keep reading about slipped liners on the 94mm bore engines.
The cause apparently is too thin block casting cracking behind the liner, allowing the coolant to creep up into the combustion chamber.
Eventual effect is the liner starts to move, eventually becoming loose.
Head gasket integrity is lost.

Apparently the only cure is an expensive top hat liner job.
Lots of machining.

Well it might seem like a silly question, but in this age of miracle sealants and adhesives, isn't there some sort of chemical cure that could be used to restore the integrity of the block/liner without resorting to machining ?

I'm not suggesting just refitting the liner with some red loctite, but maybe something more advanced ?

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Re: Possibly the dumbest V8 question ever ?

Post by ChrisJC »

There are plenty of miracle cures out there. But the only cure I have used is a set of top-hat liners.

There are a couple of approaches, one by Chesman Motorsport (and their resellers), which is a smudge of sealant on the new liner, or o-rings, by Turner Engineering. I have used Turner Engineering, at not insignificant expense, but at least I know it's as good a solution as there is.

You see a lot of Rover V8's out there with 'head gasket' problems, or 'just had new head gaskets fitted', which are almost certainly cracked blocks that have been misdiagnosed. I bought one that was full of some sort of magical fix (the waterways were purple), but it leaked like a sieve.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Return to “Engines Area”