Constant head gasket sealing problems

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

jikovron

Re: Constant head gasket sealing problems

Post by jikovron »

The pressure I seen as an arbitrary measure to really put the casting through its paces as any weakness would have been exposed as the fault
Once I move over to adding heads to the test it leaked under any applied pressure.

I've checked the bolt insertion and even just hand tightening them in I can measure 4mm less than the head height so those are doing their job so to speak.

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

You could find a scrap engine (but in notionally working order), and try your tests on that. They might all leak at 80PSI!

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

jikovron

Post by jikovron »

I've got another block free of repairs which has also kept 60 odd psi contained over night so that at least got a fighting chance of holding pressure

The thing with the current engine is the joint wouldn't hold any pressure long enough to get leak detector on it so I had to get it up to at least 50psi to give enough time to investigate it , and tbf the cylinder fire rings are no different in design to the sealing employed around the waterways.
I'll get to the bottom of it in a cost effective manner eventually , I pondered getting another separate engine but even a seized one on ebay went for like 170 odd quid haha

Mc Tool
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Mc Tool »

I had sealing issues with a V4 Honda bike engine that had stainless steel shim head gaskets ,I tried all sorts of poop on them to seal . Loctite flange sealer set hard as soon as I started torquing the head down and didn't squash out evenly at all.....in the end a guru told me "just clean em (the gaskets) and spray a bit of aerosol paint on both sides ,let it touch dry and Chuck em in " .....worked a treat.......and ,I confess ,I was re-using the old gaskets ( poverty is a bitch )
I wish I was young again , Id be heaps smarter than the first time

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

I was told by an old-timer to coat both sides of a head gasket with Indian Head shellac and then fit & torque down before it dries.
I have done this on petrol and diesel engines without comeback. Alternatively, copper based gasket spray will do.

Cheers,
John

Return to “Engines Area”