What have I got here ?

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

30EK42

What have I got here ?

Post by 30EK42 »

I've recently aquired a V8 short motor that seems (by the distinguishing features I can see) to be a late "serpentine belt" engine.
It's arrived totally dismantled with the crank/pistons/rods in a box, so while I know that the bore is 94mm, I haven't be able to accurately measure up the crank stroke yet.

But what I do have is a LR Parts Ltd tag, which states that it's a service exchange unit.
Model Type LBB112060E

Now I googled that , and came up with the information that it's either a 4.0 or 4.6
But I couldn't narrow it down any further.
Lots of price lists, but nothing useful about the spec.

Obviously the assumption is that anyone looking to buy one already knows the exact specification.

Can anyone tell me exactly what I've got please ?

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Re: What have I got here ?

Post by ChrisJC »

Some pictures would be good.
The crankshaft should have 4.0 or 4.6 cast into it.
Are there bolts going into the side of the main bearing caps as well as the bottom (aka 4-bolt main bearings)?

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

30EK42

Post by 30EK42 »

I'm sorry to say that due to my own fault, I do not have a photo hosting service to post photos from.
In cases of desperation I've been known to text msg photos to peoples mobile phones.

Yes the bearing caps are cross bolted.
TBH I've not looked closely at the crank yet, it's come with a box of shells that haven't survived storage too well.
I honestly didn't know that the crank had the engine size cast into it.
First thing on my agenda when I finish work tomorrow.

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

So far so good - it seems that you probably have a 4.0 or 4.6 from a P38 Range Rover or Disco 2.

So it's a single belt which drives the water pump from the flat face of the belt (so it's going the opposite way to the crankshaft) ?

My advice would be to get the block pressure tested as they are notorious for cracking behind the liners.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Return to “Engines Area”