Piston rings and bearings...

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

cup1

Piston rings and bearings...

Post by cup1 »

Hi guys,

I recently purchased an old MGB GT hillclimb race car with a modified Rover V8 that was part stripped.

I have now taken it apart fully to refresh everything and make sure its reliable but am really struggling to get Piston Rings!

It has forged Cosworth pistons with a bore of 93mm and despite calling all the usual suspects nobody can supply rings (JE, Omega, Real Steel etc).

Luckily it has standard (though 010 oversized) big end and main bearings so replacing these is straightforward, but would appreciate advice on best ones to get given its going to be used on track?

Main reason for the post though is anybody know where I may get a set of rings?

The pistons have PM0209 Cosworth stamped underneath and the bore is 93mm exactly. Photos attached too. I have done a bit of digging and its possible these were used in the modified TVR SEAC cars but I cannot be sure.

One last bit of info is the engine was in a TR8 originally and this was called Herman. The block even has Herman etched into the underside where the sump joins.

Any help welcomed!!

Thanks

Gary
Attachments
IMG_9002.JPG

cup1

Re: Piston rings and bearings...

Post by cup1 »

Also engine code is HRC 2411, number appears to be C6Z7856H (or 0H, hard to tell)

minorv8
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by minorv8 »

Have you tried to find 92 mm in +1 mm oversize or 92,5 mm in +50 oversize ? Especially 92 mm is a common bore size. Also note that ring thickness is another factor, not only the bore size.

The rings don't care about the piston make or type as long as they physically fit.

cup1

Post by cup1 »

thanks, not tried that but will now!

Return to “Engines Area”