piston rings

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Preedster

piston rings

Post by Preedster »

Hi everyone,i was currently rebuilding a rover 9.35 to 1 Rover v8 engine with all new internals main bearings, big end bearings, rings cam etc, i got to the stage of bolting on the heads when i sheared off 2 of the bolts ( dont know if my torque wrench needs re calibrating ) anyway i would like to know if i can put the rings into a 10.5 to 1 engine which i have spare and i am about to start rebuilding any help will be greatly appreciated

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Re: piston rings

Post by unstable load »

Why not just remove the broken studs and finish that engine?
Cheers,
John

Preedster

Post by Preedster »

One of the stud's has broken flush with the block surface and that is beyond my skills to drill out and retap etc

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

Are both engines the same bore diameter and are the piston ring grooves the same also.
1950 A40 Devon Hotrod with 5.0 twin turbo RV8.
EDIS8 wasted spark, Holley Injection.
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

Preedster

Post by Preedster »

Both engines are the same bore 3.5 litres but I couldn't say about the piston grooves i would need to compare them

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

Preedster wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:53 am
One of the stud's has broken flush with the block surface and that is beyond my skills to drill out and retap etc
OK, let's work on the assumption that the rings do work, great, now you still need to buy the rest of the bits for the overhaul versus paying someone to remove the broken stud for you.
Surely it will still be economically better to remove the stud, even if you have to pay for it, plus it will be better from a time point of view, too.
Cheers,
John

minorv8
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by minorv8 »

If the bolt sheared while torquing (and assuming the threads were clean before fitting the bolts) the remains of the studs should come out easily. It would be a totally different thing if the snapped while removing. Easiest way is to use a sharp centre punch and carefully tap the end of bolt close to the outer circumference.

Preedster

Post by Preedster »

Thanks for all the good advice chaps I think that I will remove the block and see if real steel or someone like them can do something with it thanks once again

Return to “Engines Area”