RV8 3.9 Timing Cover on a 4.6 Block

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Re: RV8 3.9 Timing Cover on a 4.6 Block

Post by DEVONMAN »

4.6 sump and oil pickup needs to be changed to a 3.9 type also.

1950 A40 Devon Hotrod with 5.0 twin turbo RV8.
EDIS8 wasted spark, Holley Injection.
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

minorv8
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by minorv8 »

OK, here is the crank spacer your will need with 4.6 engine and 3.9 timing cover.

Rough dimensions:

OD 44,5 mm, length 29,8 mm
ID (diameter of bore) 36,9 mm, depth of bore 18,6 mm
diameter of bolt hole 16 mm

Spacer.jpg

minorv8
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by minorv8 »

As for the cross bolt, I assume that you mean the RH side bolt for the front main bearing cap ? I have had both ancient Range Rover cover (circa 1975) and later SD1 type range Rover cover. Neither of these required any mods for the cross bolt. My current block is a small mains Morgan 3,9 with TVR 500 internals. This block had bosses for cross bolts but were not machined from the factory. Instead, they were machined at a later stage but with a 7/16 thread in the caps. Why, I don´t know ? But the block was new and never used. Maybe someone found out that factory bolts could not be used. I used cylinder head bolts.

I took a photo showing the bolt head (lurking behind the ground cable) and oil pump. There is plenty of clearance. Having said that, there are different oil pump covers and some may not clear the cross bolt head. Yes, this is not a 4.6 block but I have not had issues with them either.

Cross bolt.jpg

Return to “Engines Area”