Tests for a slipped liner.

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

jenand40
Getting There
Getting There

Tests for a slipped liner.

Post by jenand40 »

I have had a new Rover 4.2 V8 engine sat in the garage for the past 15 or so years and last summer installed it into my Stag to replace a Rover 3.5 V8 engine. On initial start up I ran it for 15 min. at 2000 rpm, I now have a tapping on No.7 cylinder, initially thought it was an exhaust leak, but no. Have replaced the 2 cam followers with Land Rover items but it is still there. There is no sign of oil in water or water in oil.
Could I have a slipped liner? What further tests can I carry out to determine the cause?
TIA.
Jenand40.

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Re: Tests for a slipped liner.

Post by sidecar »

You could rig something up to pressurize the coolant system to around 15 PSI then leave it for a few hours to see if the pressure falls. If it does fall then it could be a liner issue but it could be caused by a leak else where. Other than that the only other way would involve at least taking the heads off the block.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

The way I check to eliminate it being tappets is to force an old feeler gauge between valve and rocker with the engine idling as slow as possible.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

A slipped or moved liner may have various symptoms...I do not see how a ticking noise would be one of them

Losing/Using water, cooling issues yes....ticking, no.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

garrycol
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by garrycol »

A common way of telling which liners have slipped in an engine that has been making the noise for a while is to see which combustion chambers look as if they have been steam cleaned. The cylinders that have slipped will often be perfectly clean from the coolant that gets into the cylinder and is turned into steam by the combustion process and then is exhausted out the exhaust - often the cause of low coolant with no obvious leak.

Return to “Engines Area”