V8 GEMS oil cooler lines size

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

nismoit

V8 GEMS oil cooler lines size

Post by nismoit »

Good morning,

i'm fitting a Laminova oil/water cooler on a 4.6 GEMS.
To keep a nice look without fitting take off plate, i decidet to use original oil cooler input and output originally fitter in timing cover.

Stock oil cooler use 1/2" rubber lines (quite acceptable size, but most V8 aftermarket kits use 3/8" lines), but the strange thing is the size of special land rover fittings, that are just 8.70 mm diameter. So yes, all the oil flow of the entire engine will go through an 8.70 mm restriction...

So, should i trust land rover engineers and keep the stock lines, or should i block oil cooler lines, remove bypass valve and fit a 10AN take off plate for oil cooler?

SuperV8
Guru
Guru

Re: V8 GEMS oil cooler lines size

Post by SuperV8 »

What's the engine in? what are you going to be doing with the car? Do you really need an oil cooler?

My 4.6 gems in my light kit car - with supercharger has oil temps within normal limits so I have come to the conclusion I don't need one for my setup.

Tom.
Dax Rush 4.6 supercharged V8 MSII

nismoit

Post by nismoit »

Engine is fitted in Tomcat 100 off-road, i use it both in and off-road.

I want fit laminova water/oil cooler because it'll help also engine warming during winter (i live nearby mountains...).

Almost all land rovers v8 has oil cooler, that's why i decided to not delete it...

SuperV8
Guru
Guru

Post by SuperV8 »

Are you tuning the engine/using it is off road racing/high rpm etc..?
I would suggest the standard fittings are fine for standard Landrovers - i.e. I would trust the engineers... but if your usage is greatly outside the original design envelope then using larger bore fitting may be beneficial if that is a restriction in the system?

How does 8.7mm bore of the fitting compare to the internal oil ways from the filter/pump?
If they are smaller then there is not much point enlarging the fittings as the restriction is elsewhere.

Tom.
Dax Rush 4.6 supercharged V8 MSII

Davo
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Davo »

I used the same 1/2" lines on my 3.5 V8 and the oil pressure drop was terrible. I got an oil filter adaptor and fittings for 5/8" ID hoses and the oil pressure went right back up to normal.

nismoit

Post by nismoit »

Bypass oil line, that bypass oil cooler connectig directly pump to filter, seems to be more than 10mm diameter (really not easy to measure it).

So probably the way is to plug the front cover oil inlet and outlet, remove bypass spring valve (to allow permanent full flow) and fit an oil filter take off plate to oil cooler.

Return to “Engines Area”