lack of oil in rocker covers

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

AntC
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

lack of oil in rocker covers

Post by AntC »

Following a complete rebuild and first start up a rattly noise started to become evident as far as I could tell, from under the rocker covers. I have a great video but can't upload it onto the site. Anyway, I removed a rocker cover and there seems to be very little oil in evidence except for the oil I squirted onto the rockers during the rebuild. I think the two problems may be connected although I am aware that lubrication to the rocker shafts is not high volume. However, I have never heard what noise the lifters make before being charged with oil but I would expect that whatever noise they did make would go after a while, whereas this one has started from nothing and become rather depressingly loud

My first concern was whether I had connected up the remote oil filter correctly, but oil comes up one pipe when the engine is turned over on the starter and comes out of the opposite side of the filter housing when the engine turns over, so I hope that all is well there.

There is a healthy 50 lbs/sq" oil pressure and no other noises coming from the engine except for this rattly/tinkly noise. I have used a stethoscope on timing chain cover, water pump and any other area where there are moving parts to no avail.

Anyone want to take a stab at what might be wrong?

The engine is ex SD1 fitted to a series 1 land Rover in fairly standard trim.

Cheers

Ant

1958 Land Rover Series1 V8

jenand40
Getting There
Getting There

Re: lack of oil in rocker covers

Post by jenand40 »

Have you used shims under the rocker pedestals when you set the preload?
If so you must ensure they are fitted the right way round, you could be blocking the oil feed to the rocker shafts.

AntC
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by AntC »

Can I tell if they'r correctly fitted without removing the shaft? I certainly fitted shims and seem to remember there was a right and wrong way so I would like to think I got it right, but it was a couple of years ago when I did the rebuild.
Cheers

Ant

AntC
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by AntC »

I have eliminated problems with lack of oil to the rocker shafts by running the engine with the rocker cover off and although the rockers over number 1 piston seems to be getting more oil than the one over no 7, oil is definitely getting up there.

Without a video of the noise, I don't expect anyone to be able to diagnose if there is a fault, so I will have to see why I can't seem to upload to Photobucket.

Thanks jenand40 for your help
Cheers

Ant

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

ISTR is is possible to fit the rocker shaft upside down which blocks the oil flow? Assuming the head gaskets did have the holes for the oil gallery?
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

DaveEFI wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 12:47 pm
ISTR is is possible to fit the rocker shaft upside down which blocks the oil flow? Assuming the head gaskets did have the holes for the oil gallery?
It doesn't block the oil flow if you fit the shafts the wrong way round but it is supposed to cause the shafts and the rockers to wear out quicker.

AntC
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by AntC »

I checked the shafts for correct fitting. The identification groove (I think they call it) was in the correct one o’clock position for the left and right hand shafts according to my manual.
Cheers

Ant

Davo
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Davo »

So is this more of a problem with a funny noise than with oil flow? Misbehaving lifters always seem to make a tap-tap-tap noise, nothing else that I'm aware of. If that's not the noise, then it may be something else.

AntC
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by AntC »

Davo wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 7:10 am
So is this more of a problem with a funny noise than with oil flow? Misbehaving lifters always seem to make a tap-tap-tap noise, nothing else that I'm aware of. If that's not the noise, then it may be something else.
I think you're right! I have reassured myself to the extent that I don't think the noise heralds some great expense to rectify which, because whatever budget I had for refurbishing my Series 1 is on the floor, is a great relief.

When I sort out how to post a video on here, and I have done it on other forums, I'll see what answers come along. It's not a problem with the forum, it's me!
Cheers

Ant

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

This may sound silly, but check your exhaust manifold.
Cheers,
John

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

I would remove the rocker shafts (and pushrods), and crank the engine. You should get a decent jet of oil come out of the feeder holes (one per side).
It will make a mess.

At least then you know there is a good supply into the head, so you can physically check the orifice is clear up into the rocker shaft.

If you have a distributor engine, remove the distributor and spin the oil pump with a drill (after refitting the rocker shafts, or perhaps before the previous test). You should get oil dribbling out between each pedestal and the adjacent rockers.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

+1 Any time I've removed a rocker cover, always signs of lots of oil.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

AntC
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by AntC »

I am in the US at the moment so can’t do much for a few days

I have rune the engine with the rocker covers off and there is oil seeping out from either sides of each rocker with the engine only doing roughly 1500 rpm so I am happy that oil is getting where it should. There was very little noise coming from the rockers/pushrods if any at all and the rattle that first alerted me to a possible problem was still there.

What should I look for when examining the exhaust manifolds? There is no leak of exhaust gasses and everything is nice and tight.

I will give it more attention when I return and thanks for taking the time to reply, it’s really appreciated.
Cheers

Ant

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

AntC wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 5:47 pm
What should I look for when examining the exhaust manifolds? There is no leak of exhaust gasses and everything is nice and tight.
A leaking manifold can sound a lot like a duff lifter, so just run a spanner over the bolts to confirm they are nipped up nicely all round.
Cheers,
John

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

Get a short length of garden hose ( 3 feet ) and put one end to your ear and the other to all the exhaust joints and you will hear any leaks. Just like a stethoscope.
1950 A40 Devon Hotrod with 5.0 twin turbo RV8.
EDIS8 wasted spark, Holley Injection.
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

Return to “Engines Area”