Disco 3.9 vs 4.0 spare lump build

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Vard66

Disco 3.9 vs 4.0 spare lump build

Post by Vard66 »

Hi guys,

I've just been given a 4.0 (unsure of the donor vehicle, it came out a while ago, was bought on eBay by a mate and has sat for a year since, so no idea if it's Range or D2, but definitely a 4.0 rather than 3.9 designation).

I'm going to rebuild it with the aim for more low end torque more than anything else, to Megasquirt and drop into my manual Disco 1 (currently 3.9 EFI) primarily for green laning and light towing duties.

Ignoring for the first moment any upgrades due down the line with the notable exception that it's going to be Squirted rather than ruining the original (GEMS?) fuelling and (Hotwire?) ignition maps, can anyone tell me what I'm going to want to pick up to swap onto it to make it a straight drop into the manual non air con D1 V8?

Thinking alternator, specific belt & pulley kits, inlet mani, timing gear, just the general stuff that may be different as I don't know the list of small differences between the 3.9 and 4.0.

Anyone pointing me at good upgrade ideas for low end torque rather than a gain in horsepower would also be good to aim me in the right direction with the build as I'm not particularly clued in on V8 upgrade builds.

Thanks in advance,

:D

Vard.

Vard.

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Re: Disco 3.9 vs 4.0 spare lump build

Post by ChrisJC »

I think you will need a spacer for the crank pulley as the 4.0 crank will be longer. But otherwise you can just fit the old front end to the new block and all will be sweet.
You might have to recess one of the cross-bolts at the front to clear the oil pump but you'll have to confirm that yourself.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Return to “Engines Area”