Which heads should I use.

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

GDCobra
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Which heads should I use.

Post by GDCobra »

I've recently been planning to change the heads and inlet manifold on my engine.
I was looking through some boxes in the garage over the Christmas holiday and found a trumpet base I'd forgotton about, this has larger diameter,shorter carbon trumpets. I then remembered I had an in let manifold I bought some time back so dug that out and found that it was also ported and matched the trumpet base and on the head interface the ports were matched to the inlet gaket. Very nice I thought, what I really need are some heads which are ported in line with this, then I remembered I have some heads that were ported (but could use a little more) and had the valve guides backed off too so have been planning to use them.

However I got a bit of a curve ball last night. I eventually managed to get my inlet manifold off and found that the heads on the engine are already ported (about the same as I was going to do with my other set, but the valve guides are not backed off.

Soooooo, the question is should I just use the heads already on and save myself the job on the other heads. Or get the valve guides reduced on these heads. Basically choices are:
Port the spare heads
Back of the valve guides on current heads
Just leave it as is.

I will probably take the existing heads off anyhow as I wanted to Check the TDC markings althogh I may look at doing that with them in place - If it ain't broke don't fix it! However I do value the opinions of the learned forum members! And it's something to talk about I suppose.

gd302
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Re: Which heads should I use.

Post by gd302 »

Any ideas who did the heads, good porting etc is an art.
Westfield Seight 3.5 RV8

Return to “Engines Area”