General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

GDCobra
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Re: dip stick length

Post by GDCobra »

Hi Paul

So if my math's is correct (no guarantee of that :-)) the wing will add only 336cc and assuming the max line is 50mm below block/sump face that gives

18*18*8.5 = 2,754cc
+
336cc
=
3090cc

Which does seem a little limited (my bike takes about that much!)
Seems like you could do with a little more volume in your system and I guess an oil cooler is a good way to add that however if the oil cooler is thermostatically controlled that oil will only play a part when over the temp' threshold. If not i guess you need to be carful not to keep the oil too cool.

At least your oil changes should be cheaper!

paulsv8manta
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by paulsv8manta »

I've been told the cooler would hold 600 ml.
I've also ordered a thermostat to be on the safe side, but i'm still about 1 1/2 ltrs short. I presume the recommended quantity of oil would take the level to the mid part of the dip stick, so if i keep it topped to the max level in theory i should be just about ok as long as i don't continuously thrash the engine. :roll:

GDCobra
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by GDCobra »

Well I don't know about the recommended quantity but 3L in the sump does sound a bit marginal to me, I know you will have some ,ore oil in the rest 9f the system but my thoughts are that this would be constant capacity. You do hear stories of fair quantities oil remaining in the head/rocker area, presumably all this oil will be displaced from the sump. To put it another way for a given amount of oil displaced from the sump your level will drop,about twice as much as mine. Is there any way you could increase the sump footprint or are you working around cross-members or exhausts?

Or just keep the oil topped up and change more often.

paulsv8manta
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by paulsv8manta »

It is possible to enlarge the sump a couple of inches more. I bought it from eBay ready modified for this car, obviously I’ve been duped! Hoping to run the engine until for a year before changing the inlet manifold to the Thor system and upgrading the EFI. That would be the ideal time to change the sump. Looks like I’m going to be changing the oil more frequently which won’t be a bad thing.
Cheers

GDCobra
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by GDCobra »

Shouldn't be a problem, you could change twice as often as you'll only be using half as much :-)

May be worth takng the sump off and checking where the levels on the stick are and how much oil needed to reach that level in the sump.

Allan Robinson
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Allan Robinson »

I have just installed a V8D 4.6 engine into my kit car and without giving it much thought used the dip stick from my previous 3.9. Now having read this post has put doubt in my mind as the 4.6 crank will have a deeper throw (seam to recall about 10 mm I think).

The crux of the matter is the oil level compared to the crank and hence the coil level below the oil pan to block mating flange. Does anyone know what this should be for a 4.6?

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

Put the amount of oil the manual says into the engine, remove the dipstick and see where it sits reference the marks.
Remark if necessary.
Cheers,
John

garrycol
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by garrycol »

If you have the correct cast alloy sump on your 4.6 I would be using the 3.9 dip stick as it is shorter - assuming the dipstick is from a 3.9 with the tin sump.

Here is a pic of the two dip sticks side by side with the tops (out of frame) aligned - the longer one is the 4.6 and the shorter one is the 3.9. As mentioned this assumes the 4.6 has the correct alloy sump and correct length dipstick tube and the 3.9 has the correct tin sump and correct length dipstick tube - these are from a Disco 1 and Disco 2 - obviously engines from different makes such as TVRs etc or engines that have had parts mixed then that confuses matters.

The length of the tube on my 3.9 is 11.5" and the 4.6 is about 13" (hard to measure with the engine in the vehicle) so if using a standard sump with standard tube you are probably over filling your sump but there are many variables. if you have a standard alloy sump and the correct tube just get the correct dip stick from a wrecker.

Capacity from dry is 6.6 litres but refill is 5.8 litres.
20180306_144113.jpg
Garry

GDCobra
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by GDCobra »

garrycol wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:15 am
If you have the correct cast alloy sump on your 4.6 I would be using the 3.9 dip stick as it is shorter - assuming the dipstick is from a 3.9 with the tin sump.

Here is a pic of the two dip sticks side by side with the tops (out of frame) aligned - the longer one is the 4.6 and the shorter one is the 3.9. As mentioned this assumes the 4.6 has the correct alloy sump and correct length dipstick tube and the 3.9 has the correct tin sump and correct length dipstick tube - these are from a Disco 1 and Disco 2 - obviously engines from different makes such as TVRs etc or engines that have had parts mixed then that confuses matters.

The length of the tube on my 3.9 is 11.5" and the 4.6 is about 13" (hard to measure with the engine in the vehicle) so if using a standard sump with standard tube you are probably over filling your sump but there are many variables. if you have a standard alloy sump and the correct tube just get the correct dip stick from a wrecker.

Capacity from dry is 6.6 litres but refill is 5.8 litres.

20180306_144113.jpg

Garry

The dipstick and tube have to be matched, if you use the long stick and short tube the oil level will be very low.
I put some measurements earlier from the sump face to the stick for my 3.9, maybe these need to increase for the longer crank throw or maybe not but difference is not going to be a couple of inches.

SuperV8
Guru
Guru

Post by SuperV8 »

Also to add dipstick's vary by market, US LEV low emissions vehicles having longer stick (so lower oil level)

Tom.
Dax Rush 4.6 supercharged V8 MSII

Allan Robinson
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Allan Robinson »

Looks like quite a mine field.
From the previous pics my dipstick is from a 3.9 (my previous engine) and as I am using the same sump in this 4.6 should be ok. I know that my engine with oil cooler holds approx 6 ltrs of oil at the full make so am not worried about not having enough. My main concern was that I had heard that if over full the crank could dip into the oil and cause all sorts of issues; however, by placing the dip stick on the outside of the engine (as an approximation) I can see that the full mark is about 1" below the top of the lower scavenge area of sump pan therefore would be well clear of the crank.

So I now feel reasonably happy that I can use this 3.9 dipstick and sump pan for my 4.6

My thanks to everyone for taking the time to comment which has steered me in the right direction.
Allan

garrycol
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by garrycol »

But are you using the 4.6 or 3.9 tube - another aspect to consider.

Return to “Engines Area”