Planned 3.5 RV8 build

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

RoadsterMel

Planned 3.5 RV8 build

Post by RoadsterMel »

Ok, here we go....

I have bought a Rover 3.5 engine in bits. But importantly there are new parts included. There is a rebored block, new omega 10.5:1 pistons/rings and a new crankshaft, clutch pressure plate and disc. Considering what's there, think it is £500 very well spent.
The plans are to build a strong streetable replacement engine for my 32 roadster.
The induction will be an offenhauser dual plane manifold with a 390cfm holley. basically as it is now on the old engine.
There isn't actually much wrong with the older 40000mls engine other than dripping oil from many places and my worry that core plugs might be about to leak at anytime(I've replaced one already). It's run a 14.2sec qtr so it's no slouch and everything held together. I've thrashed this motor on many occasions trying to keep up with 500bhp SBC's in our club.
It's would be nice to have a motor with some extra HP and torque that will be equally as reliable. Hence buying the new engine.

So....what have I bought?

It's an 11A block that would have been 9.35:1, but I want to identify the crankshaft first. It has 'ROVER' stamped on it. It has slight rusting inplaces that looks like it's spread under a wax coating. It has been suggested to me that it could be 'forged' due to the fine surface finish.
What to we think?
Last edited by RoadsterMel on Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

I thought that all the Rover crankshafts were forged?

The main limitation on the Rover engine is the breathing of the heads. That's where I'd spend my money.

Also, since you are going 10.5:1 compression, I would consider a mapped ignition system, like Megajolt Lite Jr (or newer equivalent). Otherwise you might get a bit of running on.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

russell_ram
Getting There
Getting There

Post by russell_ram »

No, standard Rover cranks are cast iron.

And nothing wrong with the crank in the pictures that a light clean won't fix.
Rover Powered to 11.63sec @ 128mph.

RoadsterMel

Post by RoadsterMel »

ok thanks for the replies, i'll do some checking on the crank. The build is being shelved for the time being.

Return to “Engines Area”