Rover oil pressure relief valve spring.

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

jenand40
Getting There
Getting There

Rover oil pressure relief valve spring.

Post by jenand40 »

I have come across a Rover v8 oil pump base and two pressure relief springs in my spares box.
The two springs are a different length so assume one is a high pressure spring, but which one?
Would I be right in thinking that the longer one, would be the high pressure one?

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

If you measure the diameter of the actual wire in both springs and if they are the same then the longer one will give a higher oil pressure. Provided of course the spacing of the coils is similar in both.
1950 A40 Devon Hotrod with 5.0 twin turbo RV8.
EDIS8 wasted spark, Holley Injection.
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

jenand40
Getting There
Getting There

Post by jenand40 »

Thanks for that Devonman.
Just for future reference, spring wire diameter is 1.28mm and the free lengths are 71mm (standard spring) and 80mm (high pressure spring).

SJW

Re: Rover oil pressure relief valve spring.

Post by SJW »

i dont think that is correct. the standard spring is longer at 81mm and uprated is shorter.... measure the resistance and ask me how i know!

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Re: Rover oil pressure relief valve spring.

Post by DEVONMAN »

Blimey, you have dug this up from the past. The installed effectiveness of the relief valve spring depends on the preload due to the compression of the spring as it is installed. True, a shorter spring is stiffer but allowance has to be made for the initial installed force on the valve piston.
1950 A40 Devon Hotrod with 5.0 twin turbo RV8.
EDIS8 wasted spark, Holley Injection.
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

Return to “Engines Area”