Engine Oil Cooler - Oil Pump Inlet/Outlet

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

garrycol
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Engine Oil Cooler - Oil Pump Inlet/Outlet

Post by garrycol »

The engine is a 4.0 RV8. The oil filter housing has an outlet and inlet to connect the oil cooler. Below is a pic with the spots marked A and B. Can someone tell me which is the outlet which the oil pump pumps the oil to the cooler.

Likewise, I assume the engine pumps to the oil to the top of the oil cooler where it flows down under pressure and gravity through the cooler and back to the oil filter housing - not from the bottom of the cooler up to the top.

Can someone please confirm.

Thanks

Garry

Pocket rocket
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Pocket rocket »

Your query was posted a little while ago but since there has been no response - does this diagram help? [/url]https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=oil+f ... muM%3A[url] (Sorry I can't seem to get the link to work - either cut and paste this or do a google search for "oil flow rover v8").

The diagram seem to suggest that A is flow into the filter and B is the outflow.

RE your query about flow around the oil cooler matrix, my understanding is that the sytem is all under pressure and it doesn't matter much which way oil flows through it.[/url]

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

Oil flows out from B and into the oil cooler and then through the oil cooler to A which flows into the filter and up through the centre thread of the filter to the oil gallery. When the oil is cold and thick or the cooler is clogged the oil pressure forces open a valve inside the cover and oil flow directly to the filter and bypasses the oil cooler.
1950 A40 Devon Hotrod with 5.0 twin turbo RV8.
EDIS8 wasted spark, Holley Injection.
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

Return to “Engines Area”