General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Fed_up_Stag-owner
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Pre-SD1 exhaust manifold gaskets

Post by Fed_up_Stag-owner »

Hi all,

Pre-SD1 engine up and running on a cart, need to change the exhaust manifold gaskets. There are some sets of 8 on ebay for less than £3, has anyone used these with success?

harvey
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by harvey »

Pre-SD1 engines didn't have exhaust manifold gaskets. They can be fitted if you want, but they weren't fitted as standard.

Fed_up_Stag-owner
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Fed_up_Stag-owner »

Thanks Harvey,

A previous owner has fitted gaskets to the pre-SD1 engine that I have, so I'll probably fit similar with a bit of high temp sealant.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

harvey wrote:Pre-SD1 engines didn't have exhaust manifold gaskets. They can be fitted if you want, but they weren't fitted as standard.
My SD1 VDP EFI didn't have any when I bought it at 3 years old. Can't be sure it came from the factory like that, though. It didn't leak. No locking plates for the bolts either.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

harvey
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by harvey »

DaveEFI wrote: My SD1 VDP EFI didn't have any when I bought it at 3 years old. Can't be sure it came from the factory like that, though. It didn't leak. No locking plates for the bolts either.
As far as I remember the SD1 didn't have gaskets either. P5B/P6B had the locktabs and the bolts were always loose, so the locktabs always went in the bin, replaced by spring or shakeproof washers. Someone has probably applied that experience to your SD1.

Return to “Engines Area”