TVR/RV8 throttle cable to MGB throttle cable

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

v8250
Getting There
Getting There

TVR/RV8 throttle cable to MGB throttle cable

Post by v8250 »

Guys, here's a slight incidental but important mod which if like me, you're as fussy as hell, and want to get right. The standard TVR Chinaera/Griffith throttle cable outer is too short to fit a standard MGB pedal side fitting, the ferrule is wrong size and does not reach the mounting point. So, to share with all, I have spoken with Wicks and Martin in Bromyard today, they make the TVR cables for TVRPower and many others, and have asked them to make up a correct cable mating the TVR/RV8 throttle housing to the MGB pedal. This may sound like a small task but there are many conversions out there with awful cable set ups lashed together. Will be back when W&M are back to me with price and leadtime. If anyone else is after this cable spec' p.m. me and we can do a bulk order.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

It's pretty easy to make up your own cables - if you have the ferrules etc from old ones. A bike shop will sell you outer and inner from bulk.

On my SD1, making up my own cable using bits from the old saved me about 75% over a new one from Rimmer. And likely a lot more for a 'special'.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

If you want a throttle cable to last the other thing is to make sure that you have a throttle stop on the pedal. Set the stop up so that the carb is a nat's todger from being fully open when the pedal is hard on its stop. If you allow the carb to be the throttle stop either the carb or the cable will break.

v8250
Getting There
Getting There

Post by v8250 »

DaveEFI wrote:It's pretty easy to make up your own cables - if you have the ferrules etc from old ones. A bike shop will sell you outer and inner from bulk.

On my SD1, making up my own cable using bits from the old saved me about 75% over a new one from Rimmer. And likely a lot more for a 'special'.
Yes, quite easy to make one...but, I wanted to find out how much they were if made and readily available for all those running efi in an MGB. As note, it's not always more expensive when a special. I'll post thread to all when heard back.

v8250
Getting There
Getting There

Post by v8250 »

sidecar wrote:If you want a throttle cable to last the other thing is to make sure that you have a throttle stop on the pedal. Set the stop up so that the carb is a nat's todger from being fully open when the pedal is hard on its stop. If you allow the carb to be the throttle stop either the carb or the cable will break.
This is quite true. Of course the trick is setting up the cable correctly in the first place ensuring cable extension[pull] enables full actuation of butterfly/flies. It's amazing how many cars don't allow full use in inlet opening and are blocked by either poor adjustment and/or throttle stops being set too high. I test drove a TVR some years back and thought, 'why is this car running out of steam?' Turned out the owner had installed some super thick carpets over the originals and the carpet fouled the accelerator so the car simply could not reach max' speed. The owner was totally oblivious to this...and I didn't tell him ;)

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Best one for that was the P6 3500. Had a rubber bush in the countershaft which disintegrated - and not easy to see. So only gave about 2/3 carb opening with your foot hard down. You'd often find autos where the downshift cable had been adjusted to give kickdown with this restricted throttle movement - completely f***ing up the gearchange speeds...
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

v8250
Getting There
Getting There

Post by v8250 »

Okay Gents, the news hot off the Wicks & Martin block is that the cables can be made in batches of 10off for a price of £21.95+an eye watering £12.95 delivery[!]+VAT to your door.

To confirm, this accelerator cable enables a proper install for MGB's with the RV8/TVR Chimaera/Griffith throttle linkage, I've ordered 2no cables.

The spec is TVR Chimaera/Griffith large thread+2no nuts+washer+clevis that fits the standard Rover/TVR EFi cable mounting -to- the correct MGB ferrule enabling direct fitting to the raised mounting located in the rear/inner nearside wing. They are built with 730mm cable sleeve and 1100mm open cable open MGB end [you need to fit a non-soldered nipple to this enabling correct throttle -to- pedal -to- butterfly set up: see above notes].

If you're interested p.m. me and we can put a larger order together. I'm going to talk to them re' delivery cost as £12.95 is too much.

Rgds,
Andrew

Return to “Engines Area”