Todays silly questions - and lots of them! Block info!

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

That tube inside the spring just limits the amount the valve opens.

1950 A40 Devon Hotrod with 5.0 twin turbo RV8.
EDIS8 wasted spark, Holley Injection.
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

jenko
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by jenko »

DEVONMAN wrote:That tube inside the spring just limits the amount the valve opens.
So I guess it's not a 'must have' item...I think I will assembly with out it.
Building a westfield V8

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

jenko wrote:
DEVONMAN wrote:That tube inside the spring just limits the amount the valve opens.
So I guess it's not a 'must have' item...I think I will assembly with out it.
It's possible that the piston will move too much and come out of it's bore and jam if you don't install the tube inside the spring.
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

jenko
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by jenko »

Anyone know where I can get a part number for this tubes.....Rimmer don't seem to sell them......And their valve kit does not contain one.
Building a westfield V8

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

jenko wrote:Anyone know where I can get a part number for this tubes.....Rimmer don't seem to sell them......And their valve kit does not contain one.
The tube is 41mm long with an o/d of 11.16 mm and bore of 7.75 mm.

I should think you could make one from a piece of steel tube of similar diameter. The diameter is not critical so 11 mm o/d tube would work with a wall thickness of say 1 mm.

It's not an aftermarket item and is a factory item in these covers.

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

I would get another timing cover with all the bits in. Cocking up your lubrication system could be an expensive mistake!

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Seight-V8
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by Seight-V8 »

im not sure that front cover will fit the westfield chassis, I have a similar cover, but the oil filter part is at an angle not straight out.

I think you will find that your cover hits the front drivers side wishbone mounts, as you will need an oil remote fitted to it.

Mine comes out the cover at a slight angle and clears this just enough.

Problem is there is more than one serp front cover, if you have the GEMS on it wont it fit, honest I had this one and had to spend £300 quid changing it for my current one.

the one you need is this one.

http://www.powersperformance.co.uk/stor ... ont-cover/

regards

scott

jenko
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by jenko »

It gets worse then......Could be the wrong cover!....Ahhhh, when will it end!.

I can't believe when you purchase a brand new pressure relief valve kit it doesn't come with that bloody tube!.

Scott...I see your point, I need to trial fit the engine....The non angled one seems to be much higher, but you could of course be right...was always planning to put a remote filter on along with the oil cooler....Looks like I need to trial fit sooner rather than later.....

Devonman , is the tube in bothe relief valves or just the one that leads to the oil cooler?.
Building a westfield V8

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

The tube is only required inside the spring of the valve on the filter side of the engine. This valve opens when the oil is too cold and thick to flow easily through the oil cooler and also as a safety measure should the cooler get crudded up. The length of the tube is really the only critical dimension and prevents the valve piston from moving too much.

If you need to change to the cover that Scott has shown then you will need a different sump also (3.9 Type)and the pickup in the sump too and you would use the pick up hole in the block which you showed in the first post. This cover is also 20 mm thicker front to back and you need the matching crank pulley to get things to line up. On the plus side this thicker cover does give you more space to fit an alternator in front of a rocker cover.

A remote filter may be your best option if you can make it work.

Seight-V8
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by Seight-V8 »

Don't forget the cross member right under the front pulley close to the sump.

I've got some photos of my installation if you need them.

I had that cover and had to change it, luckily I got a brand new one.

Don't be wasting your money if it wont fit or work, would pay to dry fit the block, gearbox, and a few ancillaries to make sure it will fit, otherwise you would need to take it apart again.

You might see it from this pic of mine.

http://i875.photobucket.com/albums/ab31 ... C02102.jpg

regards

scott

jenko
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by jenko »

OK, thanks again guys....this is really turning into a learning curve with the vast amount of permutations on almost all components associated with the rover V8. Trial fit here we go......
Building a westfield V8

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

Just to add to the permutations, there is a cover available like the one you have, (ie no distributor) which has a 45 degree piece bolted to it which puts the filter at an angle down towards the front very similar to the one Scott showed. This would allow the use of the sump and pick up and front pulley I think you already have???

No idea if it will clear the chassis members.

jenko
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by jenko »

OK thanks....I will see what I can dig up...I need to stop buying things now as everything I'm getting is wrong....Clutch just arrived, and it's the wrong one. Flywheel was meant to be an SD1, but the clutch from an SD1 which is what I ordered is too small!......pressure plate sits inside the three dowels!...
Building a westfield V8

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

jenko wrote:OK thanks....I will see what I can dig up...I need to stop buying things now as everything I'm getting is wrong....Clutch just arrived, and it's the wrong one. Flywheel was meant to be an SD1, but the clutch from an SD1 which is what I ordered is too small!......pressure plate sits inside the three dowels!...
Yes , I'd say you probably have a range rover flywheel which has a 10.5" clutch

SuperV8
Guru
Guru

Post by SuperV8 »

2). My set up will need an oil cooler, and from a previous post, it would seen that I might as well use the oil cooler connections on the timing cover...Problem is, I have a vague recollection that I read somewhere that one of the relief valves needs removing (there are two)...or did I..don't know cant remember....can anyone advise?.
Are you sure? Is it a road or race car?
My 4.6 supercharged Rush hasn't got/doesn't need an oil cooler.

Would be simple enough to blank off the oil cooler ports and get the car on the road and monitor oil temps - then see if you really need an oil cooler?

Tom.
Dax Rush 4.6 supercharged V8 MSII

Return to “Engines Area”