General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

BISH V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by BISH V8 »

Eliot wrote:
BISH V8 wrote:Image
Must agree that there seems to be more swarf in there than just two failed big end shells.
Have you checked the cam bearings?
finally somebody whos thinking the same as me, bearing 3-4 look worn but there no where near the backing of the steel shells, there almost the same thickness as ones which are not showing any wear,also there was also about the same mass of copper fillings in the sump, cam bearings showing no signs of wear, I need to examine my roller bearings but there was no sign of copper in the heads,surely copper fillings would be on the springs

Current project
1972 mgb v8 4.6 roadster

SimpleSimon
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by SimpleSimon »

Darkspeed wrote:If you have taken those BE's shells down to the backing steel I am not surprised by that amount of material.
:whs
TVR Chimaera RV8 Mods & Megasquirt

BISH V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Amazing wear on bearing

Post by BISH V8 »

Looks like nobody noticed what's happened even me, look at No 6 bearing its grown in size compared to the standard bearing, has the low oil pressure caused this to slip, strip the copper to the steel backplate and then compress it to make the bearing wider,obviously this is where the noise came from with the amount of play, big ends will need a crank grind...

Current project
1972 mgb v8 4.6 roadster

Darkspeed
Guru
Guru

Post by Darkspeed »

BISH V8 wrote: finally somebody whos thinking the same as me, bearing 3-4 look worn but there no where near the backing of the steel shells, there almost the same thickness as ones which are not showing any wear,also there was also about the same mass of copper fillings in the sump, cam bearings showing no signs of wear, I need to examine my roller bearings but there was no sign of copper in the heads,surely copper fillings would be on the springs

As I said earlier - you have taken them down to the backing - not only that but you have have spun them and hammered the feck out of it. I suggest you have someone who knows what they are looking at re-check it all as the rod(s) and the journal(S) may well be fooked.
4.5L V8 Ginetta G27

BISH V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by BISH V8 »

As I said earlier - you have taken them down to the backing - not only that but you have have spun them and hammered the feck out of it. I suggest you have someone who knows what they are looking at re-check it all as the rod(s) and the journal(S) may well be fooked.[

I build them to get hammered, the damaged was caused by a faulty relief valve on the oil pump that got stuck, upgrades with a crank driven pump will hopefully cure this issue, it happens we move on, it only came to attention whilst measuring/examining/cleaning each piston/rod/bearing that I realised that No 6 was the culprit, I can always get someone else in who knows what there doing in your words, but I did put a picture up of all the bearings and nobody mentioned that No 6 was suspect even though you can clearly see in the pictures, to some it may be of interest
The crank will need to be checked PROFFESIONALLY and I suspect the big ends will need a crank grind, if the crank has gone beyond repair that's my excuses to go 5ltr
Current project
1972 mgb v8 4.6 roadster

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

I'd struggle to believe those bearings of different size are the same part ? Are the part numbers the same ?

To have got mashed to a different size/shape....they seem to have done so incredibly accurately for both shells.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

stevieturbo wrote:I'd struggle to believe those bearings of different size are the same part ? Are the part numbers the same ?

To have got mashed to a different size/shape....they seem to have done so incredibly accurately for both shells.
Same here. That looks like a totally different shell to me.
Cheers,
John

BISH V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by BISH V8 »

I agree its hard to believe that there the same shell, the part numbers have worn away with it spinning, I can confirm that it was the same shell as the others from the same packet which was sealed and were fitted by myself...
Current project
1972 mgb v8 4.6 roadster

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

I would be interesting to see how much of the crud on the gauze is magnetic.
1950 A40 Devon Hotrod with 5.0 twin turbo RV8.
EDIS8 wasted spark, Holley Injection.
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

Darkspeed
Guru
Guru

Post by Darkspeed »

stevieturbo wrote:I'd struggle to believe those bearings of different size are the same part ? Are the part numbers the same ?

You would need to have some decent pictures to be able to see the shell and cap widths to get an appreciation of what happens when the crank hammers the shell 100 times a second whilst its red hot, rotating and using copper as a lubricant - :lol:
4.5L V8 Ginetta G27

v8250
Getting There
Getting There

Post by v8250 »

Bish, the important things is you've found the culprit and can prep' for a proper engine refresh. Suggest a proper balance of all components too as #6 rod and piston may have taken a slight hammering...same with crank, you may like to get this dye crack tested to be on the safe side. Good things is that it's happened towards end of season giving you lots of fun things to do during the long dark nights that'll soon be upon us :wink:

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Darkspeed wrote:

You would need to have some decent pictures to be able to see the shell and cap widths to get an appreciation of what happens when the crank hammers the shell 100 times a second whilst its red hot, rotating and using copper as a lubricant - :lol:
I've seen plenty of failed shells etc, I've never seen a pair beaten perfectly into matching pairs, smooth sides and everything.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

At first glance I'd have said the No 6 shells are Clevite77 which are a little wider than the Rover OE items. However the location notch would be further from the edge if they were Clevite77.

If they have been pounded evenly top and bottom it is astonishing.
1950 A40 Devon Hotrod with 5.0 twin turbo RV8.
EDIS8 wasted spark, Holley Injection.
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

BISH V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by BISH V8 »

A big thumbs up to chessman for balancing the crank & rods so perfect that it can pound a failed bearing in two half's to new dimensions exactly the same...
Current project
1972 mgb v8 4.6 roadster

BISH V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by BISH V8 »

The engineering company thought that 30thou had to come off ,No 6 took a hell of a bashing,price of work 420 quid, they were going to chuck 50 quid of bearings in, ummm got another crank in the same day for 90 quid, going to get polished/checked so hopefully we can move on....

Current project
1972 mgb v8 4.6 roadster

Return to “Engines Area”