Starter motor replacement on a chevy 454 7.4,(G30 Motorhome)

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

aligooduk

Starter motor replacement on a chevy 454 7.4,(G30 Motorhome)

Post by aligooduk »

Hi, This is my first post. Own a 95 Chevy G30 motorhome, a 48 chevy 3100 project and a 1984 dodge ram crew cab project. This post relates to the motorhome. I have a replacement starter motor for it. I noted that it was a smaller unit, put that down to the original being 20 years old and the new one being modern. Every auto parts website i check says that this new starter is correct for my engine, The new starter is a NM6499. However i noticed when fitting that the old bolts ground out leaving about 10mm of bolt. I then phoned the suppliers who assured me that it was correct. the old starter had 9 teeth, this one has 11 teeth. I have worked out with a vernier, that if i pack the bottom of the starter motor out by 10mm then the ring gear will be within 1-2mm of the original. 10mm must be too much?? Shims are only 1mm ish and i have been told not to use more than 4 shims on a starter. Can anyone advise??

douchecalamondaes

Post by douchecalamondaes »

are you talking about packing the motor out from the engine block so that the starter gear gets full contact with the ring gear (when the starter is pushed out, if its a solenoid starter)??

if so its certainly possible, but a custom plate would have to be made to get proper area contact not penny washers or any rubbish like that.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Never know any replacement starter that didn't just bolt straight in. If not, I'd expect the maker to supply the conversion kit with it. A quick Google finds plenty on sale with 9 teeth.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Return to “Engines Area”