Oil pump question

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

dyno
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Oil pump question

Post by dyno »

Because I will convert my 4,6 ltr engine to Holley and later Quad Webers I would like to use a distributor as well ( want the "classic" V8 look ). My 4,6 ltr block has a crank driven pump and do distributor. Distributor type covers have a gear driven oil pump taking power from the camshaft. As far as I can find info, later SD1 have a bigger oil pump as first engines.

Is the crank driven oil pump a lot better as the SD1 oil pump or not a problem using this SD1 pump? Same kind of oil supply ? Same pressure ?

Somewhere I found Classic Range Rovers, 3,9 and 4,2 Ltr had crank driven oil pump and still a distributor drive. Is this correct and is this THE cover to look after?

Thanks in advance.

Blown v8
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Blown v8 »

I've got the SDi front cover on a 4.6 block,I have no problems with oil pressure/volume at all ! I had a Kenne Belle oil pressure plate/diverter on my pump,but it made too much pressure,I had to take it off.
Never used a crank driven oil pump,I don't think they are as easy to prime as the SDi pump,

ratwing
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ratwing »

I've built a 4.6 with a p6 cover/distributor and a kit to make the oil pump gears bigger (I think it makes them the same size as the SD1 gears?)
Although I haven't run it yet, it primed up easily and felt like it was giving good oil pressure.

dyno
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by dyno »

OK, this will mean I'm save with the original Rover SD1 or later cover / oil pump. Or pre SD1 and kit to make the pump bigger?

Is it still possible to make the SD1 pump bigger (longer) in case I feel I can use more oil supply?

About the crank driven pump. I do know the outer gear can crack but pump still turning. I've rebuild a 4,6 ltr before and had a broken gear ring. I did found many broken pump pictures on internet so I guess it's common. I think caused by to fast driving with cold (thick) oil ?

Blown v8
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Blown v8 »

You can buy a new front for the SDi with a bigger pump,gives 10-15% more flow,not cheap,about £350
There must be someone on here that has one fitted ?

dyno
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by dyno »

Thanks, I've seen a special cover at John Eales which have crank driven pump and still provision for a distributor. Also round 425£ I believe. Not cheap but maybe a very good option for a strong tuned engine. Mine will only have a Holley, fast road camshaft and a set of headers. Would be surprised it would make over 250 Bhp?

Yesterday evening I've bought a SD1 cover and distributor (all complete) at Ebay. Hope I can have it fixed with this setup. Maybe if I can fit a larger gear set in case the oil pressure is on the low side when running lower RPM's ?

Robrover
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Robrover »

I've got an SD1 pump, front cover with a dissy on my 4.6. I fitted a Kenne Bell kit to the oil pump too. The pressure is high on cold start up, but drops back once warmed up, runs around 15 - 20 psi at idle.

john 215
Getting There
Getting There

Post by john 215 »

Hi,

I fitted one of these from V8 Tuner about 7 or 8 years ago now and it's been fine. Had to flap about a bit pressing drive gear on and off shafts as gears are deeper than standard SD1 and the shafts are different. I also had to fab a timing pointer and rework the dizzy clamp all simple stuff though. Makes good oil pressure without being ridiculous and you get more volume too. I believe they were originally of a Buick V6 ?

http://www.v8tuner.co.uk/product.php?id=421

Don't forget you will need a spacer under the crankshaft pulley bolt also.

Cheers John
LIVE LIFE A QUARTER OF A MILE AT A TIME.

Return to “Engines Area”