[quote="mgbv8"]Is someone building a sleeper ???[/

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

ratwing
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

[quote="mgbv8"]Is someone building a sleeper ???[/

Post by ratwing »

mgbv8 wrote:Is someone building a sleeper ???
My 3.5 is pretty much on its last legs so Plan A was to replace it with another but then I thought well, why not go bigger?
Plan B was to get a good running second hand 4.6 but it turned out to be scrap - leaking liners, scored bores, all the shells down to the copper etc and the seller has vanished :x :x :x
On to Plan C, blow the budget for go faster bits on an exchange top hat block/crank/rods/pistons from Turners and rebuild with my p6 bits.
Then I recently came into a bit of cash so all change and on to Plan D - the heads are away getting bigger valves and a bit of porting.
I've bought a set of roller rockers, probably don't really need them for a road engine but 2 of the original rockers had loose cups/pads (you kindly sent me a couple of good used ones a little while ago) and it makes me wonder if the others are sound or will come apart at some time. Compared to the cost of a new set of originals (and my new engine!) they're not too expensive from v8tuner and should wear better than the original type. Apparently they sap less power from the engine too, no idea if its a significant amount but I'm guessing its because theres less friction on the valves.
Cam - got a roller chain because it should last longer before wearing and throwing the cam/ignition timing out. I'm undecided but inclined to stick with a standard 3.9 cam, I want something with good road manners.
Carbs - I wanted to keep the SU's for appearances sake but I've no room anyway for a single carb. Theres a chassis member that runs very close to the engine between the carbs so will have to make the best of the SU's.
Exhaust - loads of room so no worries about fitting in a decent system.
Also got some springs to re-curve the distributor, a bigger set of oil pump gears (but keeping the standard strength pressure releif spring) and am going to drill the distributor clamp bolt to squirt oil on to the gears.
So yes it should go a bit better than before, it's going in my trike so sadly won't have the sleeper appearance but it should be fun :twisted: :twisted:

Return to “Engines Area”