Compression Ratios

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

jeboa

Compression Ratios

Post by jeboa »

Just a general question.

I was trying to read up on compression ratios for Rover V8's.

What's regarded as the maximum you would build an engine to run (if using 99RON fuel)?

mgbloke
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbloke »

A lot depends on which cam you would be using.
My CR is 10.8:1 with a mechanical 238 cam and it will happily run on 95 with normal road driving, but I use 97+ for thrashing it round the track.

Mark

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

I run 10:1 and I use a Piper 285 cam. Personally I think that 10:1 is high enough for a road car with a 'hot' road cam. I know that a lot of people with the old P5 (or is it 6) engines have problems with the standard 10.5:1 that they run. (It will be running this high CR with the standard mild cam I guess)
Last edited by sidecar on Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BISH V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by BISH V8 »

My Compression is 11.3 i run a 238 Cam but have to use Shell V Power fuel
for best results
Current project
1972 mgb v8 4.6 roadster

jeboa

Post by jeboa »

Thank you. I have a second hand 4.6 engine built by V8D some time back. It has a 248 mech Cam. Speaking to Rob, he confirmed that usually they build to around 9.75:1 CR.

It has a later (x-bolted) bottom end with early 14 bolt heads (36cc comb chambers) so I'm guessing that its using 4ltr pistons to get this sort of CR.

The CR is probably a bit low for the Cam that is in it currently. It's low on torque (260lb/ft peak), but is 280ish bhp and a nice revving engine to drive.

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor
Location: Far Far south, any further south and my feet are wet

Post by ian.stewart »

Depends on cam, If you use an overlap cam, you bleed compression off, I was running a healthy 13.9 ;1 cr on my last engine. that on paper is far too high to be safe on the street, It worked!!, although the static comp was 13:9, the dynamic compression was nearer 11:1 (as far as I could work out) and ran quite happilt on 99ron
THE SMOKING GNU
12.604 with an old boiler of a RV8 and no gas
WHY are there so many IANS on this site???????

jeboa

Post by jeboa »

I'm not 100% sure on the overlap, but judging by the maximum vacuum I can get at idle (<>900rpm), which is 75kpa and the strong petrol smell from the exhaust I'm guessing it's reasonably high.

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
as a rough guide if you take the mechanical CR and multiply it by (1+Cos Ic)/2 where Ic it the point where the intake valve is at .02" lift, effectivly closed, that can be a good guide to the effective compression ratio for that cam/engine combination. If you cant get the .02" lift point in degrees take the average of the fully closed point (from the advertised duration) and the .05" lift point (more commonly quoted). You want this number to be somewhere between 9.25 and 10.25 for a road engine.
If you know a cam CR combination that already works then you can just use the .05" point for both cams and both CRs to compare both combinations.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Return to “Engines Area”