Rover V8 alloy rocker covers

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

jrv8 wrote:
jrcast wrote:theres not really much variety of v8s here.
Hi ,
You mustn't get out much !! There's quite a number of V8 engined vehicles in Ireland, both modified and standard.

Jim
There you go - nip over the border and see Jim!

Chris.

--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

jrcast

Post by jrcast »

jrv8 wrote: Hi ,
You mustn't get out much !! There's quite a number of V8 engined vehicles in Ireland, both modified and standard.

Jim
You're dead right, I've only been to a couple of local ones, too busy working. :)
Does anyone know how much taller they'd need to be to clear high lift rockers?

volospian
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by volospian »

jrcast

Do you, or have you considered doing, valve covers for the LSx series engines? Quite a few people are using these now. I know quite a few Cobra replicas using them, for example, plus I've come across a few drifters using them in RX7's etc. and the stock engine is utterly fugly

However, a few people, myself included, want the engine to look a little more traditional. I can move the coil packs onto a custom bracket and there is room to screw that bracket to the rear of the heads (there are threaded holes already in the heads that can be used) but that still leaves an ugly valve cover with the castings for the coil brackets.

You can get covers from the states, but it's a pita to ship them over here.

Here's a pic of something similar to what I intend. Much prettier...

or, if you want a really retro look (for those who may be interested, this looks like it may be an Lm7 as it has the earlier truck style water pump fitted)...

I just think there may be a market for a nice set of retro style valve covers for the LSx, especially if you added the bracket to relocate the coils. Maybe similar to those Essex ones, with Cobra or something cast in, or, personally, just nice clean polished alloy short finned ones like...

jrcast

Post by jrcast »

Those LS engines are sexy and I'd love to do covers for them, I'm watching some heads on ebay and if the price is reasonable covers will be produced.
I'm going retro with the Rover V8 covers, something no-one has done before, wood. :)

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

If you come to the Retro weekend please come and find me. I would love to see the Rover covers. Now you are talking about wood I'm thinking a vinyl dip to copy my lovely period Walnut dash ? :)

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

jeboa

Post by jeboa »

If you don't mind me asking, how much would a set cost?

I have the old style TVR covers on my car, and I know there are quite a few people who have asked where they can get hold of them.

The link here shows what they look like (I think these are from a Tuscan race engine - mine have the standard oil filler/breather holes in them).

http://thumbsnap.com/4TBnrBgE

If you wanted to make a copy I would be happy to lend them to you. I'm looking to go for a crossover manifold conversion, so would need to have some 'blank' ones that can have breather pipes drilled/tapped into a different location.

andyv8van
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by andyv8van »

How about a set like these

Andy
3.9 V8 Mini Van....THE BEAST

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

Those look nice Andy!!
No adaptor plates needed by the looks of them?

Where did you find them??

Pel

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

jrcast

Post by jrcast »

jeboa, thanks for the offer but unfortunately the aluminium shrinks as it cools after pouring into the mould so copying an existing cover would result in a smaller cover but the pics are good enough to get an idea of it from.
I've made a casting from the wood pattern I posted and that becomes my new pattern for all covers from now on. Everything shrank right and the boltholes line up so now I'll finish the design of the top and should have covers out in the next fortnight as soon as I get a thread tap for the oil filler.
I reckon they'll be about €220-€250 depending on finish and breathers added for a pair.

jeboa

Post by jeboa »

Sounds good, I thought after I'd posted about the shrinkage. Back when I was at school we did some sand casting of aluminium. I made a cast of an old MG badge my grandfather gave me, I remember now that the casting placed on top of the original was smaller.

The price sounds good, I've seen several posts from people asking where they can get a set from - the (second hand) ones in that photo went for £201 on fleabay, so I guess there's a market. They would have to look exactly the same though - some people are very picky!!

One thing I have found as a problem with mine is the gasket sealing. I think they are designed to be used with cork gaskets. When I purchased my car, someone had fitted the later rubber type gaskets. These have brass spacers, to prevent over-tightening (which can break loose and risk falling into the heads - engine strip and rebuild anyone??).

With the rubber gaskets they leak like crazy, I've gone for cork/grease now, and dry as a bone.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

jeboa wrote:.
[snip]
When I purchased my car, someone had fitted the later rubber type gaskets. These have brass spacers, to prevent over-tightening (which can break loose and risk falling into the heads - engine strip and rebuild anyone??).
[snip]
Not sure I understand? The spacers are surrounded on the outside by the gasket, and have the fixing screw going through them. So the screw would have to drop out and the gasket break?
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

scudderfish
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by scudderfish »

The little brass spacers can fall out of the gasket and rattle around the top of the head (or valley gasket). Normally when you're trying to get the bolt through and get it all to line up.

SimpleSimon
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by SimpleSimon »

Use studs then problem solved 8)
TVR Chimaera RV8 Mods & Megasquirt

jeboa

Post by jeboa »

Sorry, should have qualified that. The spacers can fall out when you are removing the rocker cover/gaskets. Really bloody annoying!!

jrcast

Post by jrcast »

I've some more pics of progress on this one.The wood pattern was used to make an alloy pattern
After a load of machining I had a finished pattern.
Cast the first covers this evening from that.

Return to “Engines Area”