Rover V8 alloy rocker covers

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

jrcast

Rover V8 alloy rocker covers

Post by jrcast »

Hi all, I hope it's ok for me to post this here.
I make cast alloy rocker covers and I'll be starting to make patterns for covers for the Rover V8 next week.
I will be making the patterns using the standard alloy rocker covers(the squared off edge type ones with the space in the middle for a badge) and a set of heads to measure from and looking at the original covers and I have some questions about them.
Each cover has a breather pipe, are both needed and does the position of them matter? could they be moved to the end of the cover?
The covers I got have an oil filler extension, is this needed? or would they be ok without that?
The baffles inside, I don't like putting baffles in my covers as I don't want someone spending a fortune building an engine and a baffle falls off onto the valvegear when the engine is on the redline. Will they be ok without baffles?
Thanks in advance for any advice given, it'll be much appreciated.
John

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Out of interest, why are you making covers the same as the originals?
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

jrcast

Post by jrcast »

Hi, they won't be the same as the original, I just use the originals to get measurements from, they'll be completely different.
Another question too. The top part of the cover with the fins is slanted on the ones I have, is there any reason the cover can't have all the sides the same height when looked at end on and having the top parallel to the base?
Is there any clearance problems with rockers fouling the original cover when using a high lift cam?

jeboa

Post by jeboa »

I think they're slanted, so that when you put them on the engine - they are parallel - i.e. it's a V so if they were made as you suggest, the tops would be at the similar angle as the V (the heads actually lower this angle - but they'd still be on the tilt).

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

If you dont have the uneven sides the tops wont be flat when fitted. Hence nowhere to put the mug of tea when working on it :)

What changes are you making to the appearance? The originals are a bit boring to look at eh?

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

ppyvabw
Guru
Guru

Post by ppyvabw »

Jrcast -

If I may add my two-pence worth here. Normal rocker covers are ten a penny; however, there doesn't seem to be many options for people using large roller rockers, apart from Chevy/Ford covers with an adaptor plate or various other special items from JE or the like that occasionally crop up on Ebay - not that I'm aware of anyway.

Making your covers taller than standard to fit larger valve gear will also appeal to that market.

Adam

Blown v8
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Blown v8 »

Mine are larger DJE covers to fit my roller rockers
Image[/url]
No adapters needed :wink:

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

To answer the questions - on most engines, the carbs sit pretty close to the top of the covers, so if you raised the covers, the carbs wouldn't fit. Same is true for factory fuel injection systems of all descriptions (EFi, GEMS, Thor)

The oil filler extension is just screwed in, it's not part of the casting.

The breather systems vary wildly!, different covers have different holes / drillings.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

Baffles are desirable or the oil blows out the breathers.

jrcast

Post by jrcast »

Thanks for the replies.
Looks like I might have to make 2 types, one the same height as the originals to fit standard engines and a taller one for modified engines, anyone know how much taller they would need to be?
I'll have to see what I can do about baffles, I might try to cast them into the cover for peace of mind.
Other than for resting your cuppa ( remember the cover is basically a big heatsink, so drink quick :) ) is there any other reason for the shape? I do covers for the Ford V6s and do them with the sides all the same height, I think it looks better as it's facing you when you're looking at them from the side of the car.
Do they all need a breather in each cover?
Heres a pic of the ones I do for the Ford 3.0 V6 to give you an idea of the design I'll do on them.

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

I recommend getting along to your local drag strip to look at the various covers and inlet systems that exist today. And maybe your local Land Rover show too.

Do that before committing to tooling!

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

jrcast

Post by jrcast »

Unfortunately I live in Ireland and theres no drag racing here and due to our road tax (£1500 per year for a 3.5 ) a 2.0 is considered a big engine so theres not really any more "modern" V8s around. You only get cheap road tax for over 30 years old and most of those are unmodified so theres not really much variety of v8s here, thats why I came on here to get some info.

JSF55
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by JSF55 »

The offenhauser type ones are quite rare and popular
http://www.britishv8.org/mg/robertmilner.htm
So thats where it went !

jrv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by jrv8 »

jrcast wrote:theres not really much variety of v8s here.
Hi ,
You mustn't get out much !! There's quite a number of V8 engined vehicles in Ireland, both modified and standard.

Jim

Darkspeed
Guru
Guru

Post by Darkspeed »

My personal favourite and going on mine when I get around to importing a set. The DJE type would be great without the DJE .
JSF55 wrote:The offenhauser type ones are quite rare and popular
http://www.britishv8.org/mg/robertmilner.htm
4.5L V8 Ginetta G27

Return to “Engines Area”