rich112
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Re: Rover V8 Engine Numbers Updated:

Post by rich112 »

Anyone know what it might be?

Comp Ratio 9.37:1

S81D00589A

The only S numbers I found was for a Morgan... Someone else here had this one too, but no info on it.

rich112
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by rich112 »

Well Turner Engineering came up trumps! S81D engines are 4.6 MEMS motors, export use in Discoverys.

EricCartman

Post by EricCartman »

Hello all.
So my Rover V8 is a 3.9 litre from a police Discovery so I have been told. It is now safely installed in my FX4 Taxi but the number is 35DTIS0268. It’s a manual stamping rather than the printed type so I’m wondering if this stamp is from an engine reconditioning workshop. I’m wondering what the TIS part refers to. Any ideas? The engine is sound and did look like new inside.
Many thanks in advance.
1997 London Taxi 3.9l sleeper with SU carbs. Where to guv?

SteiveD

Post by SteiveD »

Hi all. Just signed up and in need of expert help! I have an ac cobra replica with what looks like Rover V8. I have spoken to British Motor Museum who cannot ID it! So here's the challenge...the engine number is... S88D01724A and the cast on the block is the usual LOF000250. Desperate of London. Steve.

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

The S88 at the start is most odd - almost like it's been 'overwritten' by stamping 888 over the first few digits.
Or that the block has been decked and it restamped in error?

Does it look like the original Rover stamping?

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

SteiveD

Post by SteiveD »

Hi ChrisJC [/b]and thanks for coming back to me. The number is etched not stamped. I have been advised it is an original exchange engine engine destined for the US market but British Motor Museum have no exchange records. I'll try and get a pic of the stamp but it definitely looks like a Rover V8 (which size is another story - 3.5, 4.0 or 4.6!) The plot thickens....

SteiveD

Post by SteiveD »

20211009_173034.jpg

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

I'll definitely go along with it being a factory number with that style of engraving. That's how the P38 engines were done.

Is it a cross-bolted block?

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

SteiveD

Post by SteiveD »

Thanks again Chris. This is where I show my ignorance. What does a cross bolted head look like?

SteiveD

Post by SteiveD »

I'm guessing..having had a look on Google, that the head bolts are diagonal rather then in line or opposite each other. I won't know until it is back from the paint shop, then I can remove the rockers.

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

If you look around the bottom of the block, there is a bolt in the side of the block going through into the main bearing cap. So that's 5 down each side. They are not present on the pre Range Rover P38 engines. It at least gives a bit of a clue as to its age. Noting that actually, the different capacities were achieved by a different crankshaft, all of the bores are the same. So the 9.35:1 stamped on it has no bearing on the block, that was a function of the pistons! I believe all of the blocks were the same.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

richyb66

Post by richyb66 »

SteiveD wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:44 am
20211009_173034.jpg
Does the S prefix denote a factory engine that was for service rather than destined for a new built car. Maybe to replace an existing engine under warranty? The rest of the number would just be a sequential identification rather than a number matching a specific VIN on a brand new vehicle.

Jackrancher

Post by Jackrancher »

Good afternoon all,
I am having my Rover V8 4.6 rebuilt and would like to try to identify the engine number. The engine was out of a RR P38 1997 but the engine number is RCTV846007.

Does anyone know where and when this engine was produced or whether is was remanufactured? I have attached a photo if that helps.

Any light that can be shed on this would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks.
Attachments
V8 Pistons (1).jpg

garrycol
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by garrycol »

That is not the original stamping so probably not the original number. When the blocks were stamped when being made it would have been in a "dot matrix" style and have the compression ratio stamped as well - it looks as if the number you have has been manually stamped possibly after the top of the block being shaved.

If original it should look something like this
Rover-Engine-ID-B.jpg
Rover-Engine-ID-B.jpg (18.63 KiB) Viewed 6717 times

Jackrancher

Post by Jackrancher »

Thanks Garrycol for the info :D
Does anyone know who would have performed this work? I am thinking that having restamped the engine that it must have been an engine rebuilder or reconditioner somewhere...........

Return to “Engines Area”