Rover V8 Ignition Upgrade

General Chat About Electrics, And Ignition Systems.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

bodger
Guru
Guru

Post by bodger »

all working .... the bastids sold me a dud ..

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

katanaman wrote:Solder and epoxy could be what your after. Shouldn't mater which way round you make it as its effectively AC so doesn't have a polarity.
Not entirely sure that's correct, as it will go negative before it goes positive. In megasquirt circles that module is just known as a "4 pin hei" module.
If the timing is eratic, try swapping the leads over.
Eliot Mansfield
5.7 Dakar 4x4, 4.6 P38 & L322 TDV8
www.mez.co.uk / www.efilive.co.uk

Paul B
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Paul B »

bodger wrote:more cross ref's :

Replaces
AMC 8131941
Bosch 0 227 100 029
Chrysler 8131941
Citroën 75513845
Delco 1875990
Delco 1894322
Delco 830931
Delco 9348922
Delco D-1906
Fiat 4419628
Fiat 82369531
GM 1875990
GM 830931
Hüco 138021
Lucas DAB125
Marelli 064833010010
Marelli 64833010
Marelli 94038521
Marelli 94038521010
Marelli 940385521
Marelli 940385521010
Marelli BKL1A
Motorola AM2
Motorola GM1
Peugeot 5927.89
Renault 77 01 021 955
Valeo 245515
Valeo 2595003
Valeo CD863
More fun:

Northern Auto Parts (http://www.northernautoparts.com/)

* ACCEL Ignition Module # 35361
* ACCEL Ultra High Performance # 35367
* Proform's High Performance Control Module # 66944C

JEGS High Performance (http://www.jegs.com)

* Pertronix Flame-Thrower # 751-D2000
* ACCEL # 110-35361
* ACCEL # 110-35367 (Ultra Performance)
* JEGS' # 555-40600

Summit Racing (http://www.summitracing.com)

* Pertronix Flame-Thrower # PNX-D2000
* Pertronix Flame-Thrower # PNX-D2070
* ACCEL # ACC-35361
* Mallory # MAA-607
* Proform # PRO-66944C
* Summit's # SUM-850100

bodger
Guru
Guru

Post by bodger »

can someone repost the wiring diagrm for this upgrade please
remember it's only a bodge if it DOSN'T worK

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

I have fixed the broken links to the images but there never was a diagram.

bodger
Guru
Guru

Post by bodger »

thankyou very much , i thought it was my module that had gone so i was just checking the wiring

it turned out to be that the bottom of mer airflow meter was hanging off

bodger
Guru
Guru

Post by bodger »

sold
Last edited by bodger on Sun May 25, 2008 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

stone

Post by stone »

just wondering how i can tell if my coil is ballasted or not ,,,,im just about to do this ignition upgrade but i have a brand new coil as i thought it was my coil that packed up but it was the amp giving me grief but i just bought a replacement coil so i dont know if its ballasted or not and i this system uses a unballasted coil do u need to use a ballast resistor
thx nic

Paul B
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Paul B »

stone wrote:just wondering how i can tell if my coil is ballasted or not ,,,,im just about to do this ignition upgrade but i have a brand new coil as i thought it was my coil that packed up but it was the amp giving me grief but i just bought a replacement coil so i dont know if its ballasted or not and i this system uses a unballasted coil do u need to use a ballast resistor
thx nic
If you bought a coil the person who sold it to you must know what voltage it is, surely? Coils are not actually ballasted in themselves, just operate on different voltages. About 8 volts when used with a ballast resistor, 12 if not.

Anyway, the electronic system never had ballasted coils fitted, just straight 12 volts to the whole system.

Paul B
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Paul B »

bodger wrote:can someone repost the wiring diagrm for this upgrade please
There isn't really a wiring diagram, just the two wires from the dizzy go to one end of the amp, and two wires from the other end of the amp go to the coil direct. You discard the other junk in the ally box.

It is getting the wires the right way round that causes the grief. :oops:

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

So is this mod for a bigger spark or reliability or what? I have a Aldon Flamethrower coil I bought but never used which is supposed to be the dogs, but will this mod give any more advantage?

Tom

Paul B
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Paul B »

topcatproduction wrote:So is this mod for a bigger spark or reliability or what? I have a Aldon Flamethrower coil I bought but never used which is supposed to be the dogs, but will this mod give any more advantage?

Tom
Supposed to give a bigger spark, plus it removes some of the junk from the wiring system in the ally box, that nobody seems to know exactly what it does, but it doesn't make any different if it is removed.

I have also been told this system works on Ford Duraspark ignition systems, does away with the box of tricks you need with that setup.

bodger
Guru
Guru

Post by bodger »

kevinr

Post by kevinr »

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I'm interested in doing this, as I have a slight misfire at higher revs.

I have a Landrover Discovery 1 with the aforementioned dizzy. I have all new rotor arm/cap and leads (all genuine parts) properly gapped plugs (champions) and all runs well (ish)

I already replaced the amp earlier this year, but it still runs a little lumpy when I start hitting 40 mph and above.

After several phonecalls to various motorfactors in Hull, I cannot locate this amp, the ones I do dig up look nothing like the one pictired, they look similar to the one I already have, so I'm assuming they are just quoting me for pattern/genuine replacements.

Can anyone point me to a website where they sell these? I've tried google, but turn up poor results there too.

Thanks

Kev

Paul B
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Paul B »

kevinr wrote:Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I'm interested in doing this, as I have a slight misfire at higher revs.

I have a Landrover Discovery 1 with the aforementioned dizzy. I have all new rotor arm/cap and leads (all genuine parts) properly gapped plugs (champions) and all runs well (ish)

I already replaced the amp earlier this year, but it still runs a little lumpy when I start hitting 40 mph and above.

After several phonecalls to various motorfactors in Hull, I cannot locate this amp, the ones I do dig up look nothing like the one pictired, they look similar to the one I already have, so I'm assuming they are just quoting me for pattern/genuine replacements.

Can anyone point me to a website where they sell these? I've tried google, but turn up poor results there too.

Thanks

Kev
Show 'em this. They should be able to find this, or they have the heads buried somewhere warm and smelly.

All the amps are much the same, do the same job, so a stock replacement will do the trick.

If you are still having problems after changing it once already, you might find your problem lies elsewhere, such as the wrong dizzy cap or rotor. Certain after market parts do not line up the rotor tips with the cap terminals correctly, leaving a height difference.

One 'genuine' dizzy cap I bought of Ebay had over a millimetre slack where it sat on the dizzy, allowing it to wobble all over the place.

Return to “Electrical & Ignition Area”