Rover V8 Ignition Upgrade

General Chat About Electrics, And Ignition Systems.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

James 33
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Re: Rover V8 Ignition Upgrade

Post by James 33 »

Just a thought. What spark plugs are people using with this upgrade?

paulsv8manta
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by paulsv8manta »

I’m using NGK BPR 6ES set at 35 thou.

iwmaLPG

Post by iwmaLPG »

Maybe a little late.

You can run in serious problems when swoping ignition components by non original parts.
This is because you interfere with 2 electrical circuits (12V and the high tension circuits).

Even installing an alternator might give problems if the voltage is raised or dropped (13.4 / 14.4 V).
This will effect the way the ignition module, coil, ignition leads, spark plug, etc. will act.
This has an effect on the temperature of the components and on the actual spark.
Those kind of modifications are often the reason of destroying coils and ignition modules.
If you install a replacement component from another manufacturer its often not acting in the way the original parts work.
Don’t think one fits all. Every car is different.
For this reason BOSCH made 1700 different cylindrical coils.

If you want to upgrade your system, go for someone who can test you configuration afterwards.
There are lots of clams made which can’t stand a test.

From my experience the best park plug for the Range Rover classic’s is the NGK BP6ES, not the NGK BPR6ES.
Regards,
Hugo

Devonrod
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Devonrod »

I have just swapped my old dissy unit for the later type in the lead post, put on a remote std plate low down in the engine department and bent it to be in the coolest part, I used a 12v 0.8 ohm coil, apparently the coil has to be under 1.5 ohm, I was looking to convert to the HEI GM type unit in this post but run into the same problem as the standard unit, that is most available seem to be made in the far east, found a "performance" unit here in the UK made by Proform, https://roadcraftuk.co.uk/index.php?rou ... uct_id=541 most US performance shops stock it but someone said in the reviews, although they gave it 5 stars, it had made in Taiwan on it !
I have included pics of the plus and negative terminals on both types of dissy for peoples info.
Have been looking into the AB14 ignition box that had the unit fitted, when they do surface on Ebay go for silly money, whats more replacement Zenner diodes and the capacitor seem unavailable ?
Attachments
zIMG_2381 (2).JPG
P1210377 (2)_LI.jpg
zP1210918_LI.jpg

Return to “Electrical & Ignition Area”