Rover V8 Ignition Upgrade

General Chat About Electrics, And Ignition Systems.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Muscle-Manta
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Muscle-Manta »

Snake oil, smoke, mirrors and perhaps a module not unlike this upgrade at a huge mark up?? :roll:

Will Reeve
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Will Reeve »

Just bought a coil (part number cross reference for the Bosch) and amp from Wilco (large chain of motor factors). Parts are:

QH-XIC8029 Coil £20.37
QH-XEI8 Amp £23.44

ivysboy

Re: Rover V8 Ignition Upgrade

Post by ivysboy »

thev8kid wrote:Info and conversion supplied By Aide,

Ignition unit: QHL-XEI8.
Bosch 12v Coil (blau) Blue: 0221119027

Ok, lets establish that we have the correct Dizzy, this mod will NOT work with the disc type dizzy as it a rectified signal, meaning it sends ½ the signal to the amplification circuit and phases the other half of the signal 180' to ensure no crossfire is present, (don’t ask me how I know because I’ll be here forever), you need to ensure that the one you have has the spikey brown trigger like the pic, don’t worry if you have a box on the side of the dizzy as you’ll be chucking that as far as possible.

If this is what you have were in business, you need to remove the amplification box if you have one and lengthen the Orange and Purple wires to go somewhere near the coil.
Now you need a component as pictured, which is the new amplification circuit. This need to be mounted in a coolish environment, near the coil is ideal as they are generally mounted away from hot spots. This unit also needs to be earthed well by the metal backplate, so on the chassis is a good idea scraping away the paint behind it and applying the grease supplied with it.

Time to do some rewiring, you need to take the coil positive to the terminal marked ‘B’, in the pic it’s the red wire, then from the coil negative to the terminal marked ‘C’, that the yellow wire. The Purple wire from the dizzy to terminal ‘W’, and the Orange wire to the terminal marked ‘G’
Mow all that’s left is hook the tach trigger back to the negative side of the coil, and a 12v (NOT ballasted) to the coil, I prefer a Bosch BLAU coil, of Blue to you and me, you can get these from any Bosch dealer and they should know what you mean. If not my local motor factors do.
Now the warning, I stupidly pulled a lead off investigating a misfire (it turned out to be the cam lobe but pulled I did). The spark jumped at least an inch and made me soil myself, do not play with this system. If you need any advice then just ask.
Adie
Hi what terminal is the W terminal top or bottom left. thanks.

Automania
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Automania »

Hi I'm picking up one of these tomorrow, my dizzy has two black wires going to the existing amp on the side (it's a late 3 pin 35dlm8) just wondering if it mattered which wire went where? Cheers mike

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

It does matter, but I don't know which is which!

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Automania
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Automania »

ChrisJC wrote:It does matter, but I don't know which is which!

Chris.
Haha cheers, does it matter in that if it's wrong it'll blow something or will it just not run or run bad? Saying that it might not matter soon as I may be getting ms

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Sadly, I can't check my SD1 for you as it now runs EDIS. If you don't get any help here, try the SD1 Club forum.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

littlewarby

intermotor/gm module

Post by littlewarby »

I know this is a old post now but have fitted this to my landy it does run smoother however the timing is 15 to 20 degrees advance IS THIS RIGHT so much so that it's off the crank shaft scale

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

That suggests the advance curve is very wrong. IIRC, the full advance is something like 35 degrees. Although individual engines will vary a bit an extra 20 degrees sounds a lot.

It's easy to print up a strip showing the advance to 60 degrees or so and just glue it over the existing scale.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

littlewarby

Re: intermotor/gm module

Post by littlewarby »

littlewarby wrote:I know this is a old post now but have fitted this to my landy it does run smoother however the timing is 15 to 20 degrees advance IS THIS RIGHT so much so that it's off the crank shaft scale
forgot to say it is running on LPG to put it another way if the no1 plug lead was about 20 past the hour on the dizzy cap with the old Lucas module it is now about 15 past the hour seams drive ok although it can take 2 or 3 temp to start

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Ignore my last post, then. I know nothing about LPG.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

littlewarby

Re: intermotor/gm module

Post by littlewarby »

littlewarby wrote:
littlewarby wrote:I know this is a old post now but have fitted this to my landy it does run smoother however the timing is 15 to 20 degrees advance IS THIS RIGHT so much so that it's off the crank shaft scale
forgot to say it is running on LPG to put it another way if the no1 plug lead was about 20 past the hour on the dizzy cap with the old Lucas module it is now about 15 past the hour seams drive ok although it can take 2 or 3 temp to start
Update on this module,, after spoting one with heat sink and coil at a a car show had Vauxhall wrote on it I fitted it to my rover and had no problems for about 18 months until recently when tick over was very bad but at normal road speed 30-50 mph it was good turned out to be the old coil swoped it out for the proper Lucas carb v8 one now its great still got the original module and heat sink from Vauxhall working very well with the date 5/1987 be WARNED if your hands are near the plug wires or coil when the engine running you will gett a SHOCK!! The voltages must be massive compared to the original Lucas module

James 33
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by James 33 »

Just converted my ignition over to use this module but it's getting really hot! I mounted it on a stainless steel plate that's well earthed and used the supplied grease behind it. I'm running it with a Lucas 35dm8 dissy and the Lucas coil that's always been on it. Thinking of getting a Blue coil though. Only run it to set the timing and afterwards I couldn't touch the module as was that hot. Is it likely I have the wrong coil?

James 33
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by James 33 »

Ignore the above post. I fitted a Bosch blue coil this morning and it's nice and cool now. The old coil was 3ohm resistance and the Bosch is 6ohm.

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

James 33 wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:43 pm
Ignore the above post. I fitted a Bosch blue coil this morning and it's nice and cool now. The old coil was 3ohm resistance and the Bosch is 6ohm.
Good stuff!

Return to “Electrical & Ignition Area”