MSD Ignition questions.

General Chat About Electrics, And Ignition Systems.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

paulmanta
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

MSD Ignition questions.

Post by paulmanta »

I am running a Rover V8 in my 1986 Opel Manta, I have just removed the standard dizzy and an MSD6A and am replacing the complete ignition system, the spec is MSD billet Distributor (PN8548) hooked up to a "GM Heavy duty ignition" essentially an MSD6T, this is in turn hooked up via the 4 pin plug to the MSD soft touch rev control (8728)

My question is where do I plug the rev counter green wire ? The old 6A had a spade connector on the end of the unit but the 6T does not.

Any help gratefully received !!

Paul B
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Re: MSD Ignition questions.

Post by Paul B »

paulmanta wrote:I am running a Rover V8 in my 1986 Opel Manta, I have just removed the standard dizzy and an MSD6A and am replacing the complete ignition system, the spec is MSD billet Distributor (PN8548) hooked up to a "GM Heavy duty ignition" essentially an MSD6T, this is in turn hooked up via the 4 pin plug to the MSD soft touch rev control (8728)

My question is where do I plug the rev counter green wire ? The old 6A had a spade connector on the end of the unit but the 6T does not.

Any help gratefully received !!
The coil?

paulmanta
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by paulmanta »

Thats what i thought but the multiple sparks seem to confuse the hell out of the rev counter, MSD themselves say not to do this.but what are the other options?

Like i said the 6A had a spade connector in the body of the unit you just plug the green wire into, this is not on the 6T.

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

cant help you with where to connect it but no you cant put it to the, coil as you say the multi spark stops it working plus the voltage is too high. According to MSD it does have a tach output, its not on the harness that goes to the rev limiter is it? That said maybe the GM version is different.

IainB
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by IainB »

Dont MSD do a 'tach adapter'

Half way down this page http://www.msdignition.com/1troub1.htm

paulmanta
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by paulmanta »

A bit of lengthy googling may have sorted it, will try tomorrow but it seems the brown or white wire on the GM ignitions is the Tach output, You check for a 1 to 5 volt signal when the car is running.

I have a spare white wire so i will test this, funny as the MSD6A i had the white wire was left unconnected and the instructions said to not use it.

We will see.

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

on the 6a the white wire connects to points. What you have might be releted to the MSD but I wouldnt take it as gospel that it is exactly the same.

Return to “Electrical & Ignition Area”