Replacement Lucas distributor

General Chat About Electrics, And Ignition Systems.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Biffdiff42

Replacement Lucas distributor

Post by Biffdiff42 »

Hi I have a a Rover SD1 v8 circa 1980 with an Offenhauser inlet manifold and Holley 4 barrel carb. The distributor is causing problems and is quite worn, and the rotor arm will move up and down a couple of mm. The car came with an alternative distributor which is similar but not identical and am keen to find out if it can be used as a replacement. It is either brand new or little use.

So the current one is a Lucas 35DLM8 2585 which is the early type of electronic ignition and it has an Amplifier on the side of it.

The new one is a Lucas 35DM8 4185 and is also an electronic ignition type but does not have an Amplifier on the side of it, otherwise it looks identical.

Any guidance or views would be much appreciated.

thanks Jonathan

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Replacement Lucas distributor

Post by DaveEFI »

The DLM is the later distributor. Don't think up and down movement on the rotor arm matters much - but side to side does.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Biffdiff42

Post by Biffdiff42 »

Hi

The current unit is very tired an there is a little horizontal movement in the rotor arm, so is the Lucas 35DM8 4185 suitable for my engine ?

thanks Jonathan

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Biffdiff42 wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:00 am
Hi

The current unit is very tired an there is a little horizontal movement in the rotor arm, so is the Lucas 35DM8 4185 suitable for my engine ?

thanks Jonathan
There are different advance curves dependent on engine spec - CR, etc. Not quite sure how you tell if the spare you have is the same as your original in that respect.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Return to “Electrical & Ignition Area”