Distributorless ignition and Rover 14CUX EFi

General Chat About Electrics, And Ignition Systems.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

GDCobra
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Re: Distributorless ignition and Rover 14CUX EFi

Post by GDCobra »

I just want to close the loop on this and possibly offer advice to others.

Firstly I want to make it clear that although this project was ultimately un-successful I don’t think this should be taken to indicate that the NODIZ Pro Gen 2 system is fundamentally flawed. Had I been able to get it to work it would have been a very neat and compact installation. I either just got unlucky or something specific about my installation (GEMS coils maybe) prevented it working.

After trying every practical combination of wiring and substitute components I was unable to get this system working. It would run the engine OK but every so often (typically about 30 second intervals) I’d get a “stumble” in the power delivery as though an ignition event has failed to occur.
Eventually, using a timing light, I found that the system appeared to be firing multiple times per revolution, the pulley was ‘moving’ and I could see the timing markers at two positions, 90° apart. The markers may have been visible in other positions but these areas are not viewable in my installation.
I can’t believe this is an inherent problem with the NODIZ Pro Gen 2 system as I’m sure there would be many more stories on the Internet if so and also I know that Geordie Jim as had success with a similar setup (different coils though). It’s also possible that I was getting a false indication, perhaps a problem with my timing light, but that doesn’t change the fact that there was a problem.

Reported this to Motorsport Electronics, the problem had been on-going with them, and the response was there was no more they could do about the problem, we need to call it a day and they would refund me.
I must admit I was very disappointed with this, I really wanted this system to work and this did not address the time I’d spent of modifications I made to the car for mounting the components, not the end of the world but worth knowing if you’re contemplating trying this system best not to make any un-reversible changes to your car until you’re sure everything works OK.
On the positive side they did not quibble over the refund and executed it promptly

Convinced that a crank triggered ignition system with few moving parts and multiple coils is the way to go and also to prove where the problem lay I decided to resurrect my Megasquirt 2 project (just to run ignition).
I threw a loom together for this, basically just power, ground and crank position sensor on the input side and connections to the coils on the output, tweaked a couple of ignition settings in the software (setting the missing tooth offset) and it all fired up just fine.
Worth pointing out that I used as much as possible from the NODIZ setup, the connections to the coils and VR crank position sensor used the same wiring and the signals to drive the rev’ counter and ignition signal to the 14CUX EFi used the diode network un-modified.
Road tested the car and it ran really well, none of the problems I had with the NODIZ and I’d also argue noticeably better than with the distributor (still only a ‘thrown together’ map at this point) particularly at low RPM.
The only component which has changed is the box controlling the ignition so although I don’t know exactly what the problem was (which always bugs me) I do know where it was.

Just a few thoughts on the NODIZ system – Only my take on it.
Motorsport Electronics seem to have a negative attitude to using MAP for load sensing, in-fact load sensing generally which makes me wonder how comprehensive they want this system to be. Sounds more like the advice from people who can’t see further than track vehicles.

TACHO output is set at 2 pulses/rev’. Fine on 4 cylinder applications but not correct if using an 8 cylinder rev’ counter. I discussed this with supplier as I thought it could be something I did wrong but in fact that is a ‘feature’ of their system.

There is no adjustment for dwell, you get 3mS running and 6mS cranking which seems to be in line with what many coil-packs require but if you’re planning something different it’s worth bearing this in mind.

Return to “Electrical & Ignition Area”