Distributorless ignition using GEMS coils and Hotwire system

General Chat About Electrics, And Ignition Systems.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Distributorless ignition using GEMS coils and Hotwire system

Post by DaveEFI »

I'd expect any ignition only ECU to have a built in MAP sensor, so all you'd need is a vacuum feed to it.
As regards the tach adaptor, the diode method requires a connection to each coil. The pulse amplifier method - uses the coil from a standard car relay, and a transistor, only needs 12v, the logic feed in and out to tach, so can be mounted anywhere convenient, perhaps beside the tach if there is room. I think you can buy them ready made. I found it worked better than the diode method on my SD1 tach.

Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

garrycol
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by garrycol »

I made the above tach module from resistors and diodes bought from a local electronics shop (together is about 1" square) - was only a few pounds - it is wired to the coil outputs of the edis module but equally could be connected to the coil inputs.

GDCobra
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by GDCobra »

DaveEFI wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:58 am
I'd expect any ignition only ECU to have a built in MAP sensor, so all you'd need is a vacuum feed to it.
That is one of the advantages of the MJ, unfortunately the NODIZ does not have that, it uses extrenal MAP.
As I don't really like the disadvantages of MJ which you have described (particularly lack of dwell control) I'm either looking at NODIZ or an alternative which I'm unaware of at the moment. Still looking though.

DaveEFI wrote:
As regards the tach adaptor, the diode method requires a connection to each coil. The pulse amplifier method - uses the coil from a standard car relay, and a transistor, only needs 12v, the logic feed in and out to tach, so can be mounted anywhere convenient, perhaps beside the tach if there is room. I think you can buy them ready made. I found it worked better than the diode method on my SD1 tach.
I'm liking the sound of that, another thing I need to do some more looking into. I take it when the the coil is turned off the breakdown of the magnetic field causes a high(ish) voltage?

SuperV8
Guru
Guru

Post by SuperV8 »

GDCobra wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:45 am
DaveEFI wrote:
That is one of the advantages of the MJ, unfortunately the NODIZ does not have that, it uses extrenal MAP.
As I don't really like the disadvantages of MJ which you have described (particularly lack of dwell control) I'm either looking at NODIZ or an alternative which I'm unaware of at the moment. Still looking though.

DaveEFI wrote:
I'm liking the sound of that, another thing I need to do some more looking into. I take it when the the coil is turned off the breakdown of the magnetic field causes a high(ish) voltage?
Looking at the NODIZ manual in the "triggering Setup/Crank/Cam Sensors" section it shows it needs a crank signal - so would not work from your (locked) dizy - So you'll also need to factor in a crank toothed wheel/sensor setup.
Dax Rush 4.6 supercharged V8 MSII

GDCobra
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by GDCobra »

SuperV8 wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:25 am
Looking at the NODIZ manual in the "triggering Setup/Crank/Cam Sensors" section it shows it needs a crank signal - so would not work from your (locked) dizy - So you'll also need to factor in a crank toothed wheel/sensor setup.

I don't have a locked dizzy, and the intention is to eventually get rid of the dizzy altogether (replace with cut of "dumpy dizzy" to drive the oil pump).
What I have is a 36-1 wheel monted to the front pully with a 2 wire VR sensor located adjacent. My understanding is that this (as well as other wheel types) is what is required by NODIZ.
I assembeled this during my exploits with MS.
As I'm looking at wasted spark no other sensor (such as cam to give engine phase) should be required.

SuperV8
Guru
Guru

Post by SuperV8 »

GDCobra wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:48 am
SuperV8 wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:25 am

I don't have a locked dizzy, and the intention is to eventually get rid of the dizzy altogether (replace with cut of "dumpy dizzy" to drive the oil pump).
What I have is a 36-1 wheel monted to the front pully with a 2 wire VR sensor located adjacent. My understanding is that this (as well as other wheel types) is what is required by NODIZ.
I assembeled this during my exploits with MS.
As I'm looking at wasted spark no other sensor (such as cam to give engine phase) should be required.
Ah, ok, yes this is what I was referring to. All good then.
Yes wasted spark doesn't need CAM sensor.
Dax Rush 4.6 supercharged V8 MSII

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

This the schematic of the pulse amplifier. The original circuit used a plain NPN transistor - something like a 2N2222 - but I found a Darlington pair worked better with my tach. That may of course just be a funny with it. It didn't read on start up - then kicked in when you revved it, and then stayed working. With the TIP, you can see it kicking when cranking. If space is an issue, you can remove the coil from the relay. If not, you may want to either remove the armature from the relay or glue it up to prevent it buzzing.

Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

GDCobra
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by GDCobra »

DaveEFI wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:40 pm
This the schematic of the pulse amplifier. The original circuit used a plain NPN transistor - something like a 2N2222 - but I found a Darlington pair worked better with my tach. That may of course just be a funny with it. It didn't read on start up - then kicked in when you revved it, and then stayed working. With the TIP, you can see it kicking when cranking. If space is an issue, you can remove the coil from the relay. If not, you may want to either remove the armature from the relay or glue it up to prevent it buzzing.

Thanks Dave.
I love diagrams, so much easier to understand than words.
I remember the expression "Darlington pair" but must admit don't recall the significance of it. Did study a bit of electonics many years ago but leant towards the digital side rather than analogue. From the diagram this looks like piggy backed transistors
Anyway, I think I can make sense of it, the transistor is acting in place of the current ignition control amplifier being tontrolled from the (logic level) TACH signal from the new ignition controller, the relay coil is replacing the ignition coil so effectively the same circuit as I currently have but slightly different components.

Couple of questions if you don't mind.
Would you expect to get any or significant EMI from the magnetic field collaps in the coil?
If so is it worth shielding this in some way?
I'm assmuing the mechanical components should be removed from the relay to stop audible noise (not that I'd probably notice in my car!)?

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

In theory, the EMI would be no worse than from a coil, and most makes ran a wire from that to the tach. However, I fitted mine close to the tach to keep the output wire as short as practical. And wouldn't harm to build it in a metal box- lots of ally ones on Ebay. Usually called project boxes.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

GDCobra
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by GDCobra »

DaveEFI wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:09 pm
In theory, the EMI would be no worse than from a coil, and most makes ran a wire from that to the tach. However, I fitted mine close to the tach to keep the output wire as short as practical. And wouldn't harm to build it in a metal box- lots of ally ones on Ebay. Usually called project boxes.
Great stuff that Dave. I'm assuming the transistor is pennies rather than pounds (or tens of pounds), I have a number of relays around so no other cost.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Like most electronic components, dirt cheap. Under 20p - but if buying only one you'll pay corkage. :D
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

GDCobra
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by GDCobra »

DaveEFI wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:47 pm
Like most electronic components, dirt cheap. Under 20p - but if buying only one you'll pay corkage. :D
I'll start saving my pennies now, just with there wasn't always so much month left at the end of the money!

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

What exactly is the issue with GEMS coils, that you seem to think will be a problem for an aftermarket system ?

And what is the issue with the tacho that needs all that messing about ? What exactly drives the current tacho ?

Another cheap ecu, although I don't think they do ignition only as such is Spitronics. But their systems are pretty cheap from South Africa and I think they can sell as complete kits.

But really, Nodiz is UK based....I'd expect support would be better because of that.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

stevieturbo wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:46 pm
What exactly is the issue with GEMS coils, that you seem to think will be a problem for an aftermarket system ?

And what is the issue with the tacho that needs all that messing about ? What exactly drives the current tacho ?

Another cheap ecu, although I don't think they do ignition only as such is Spitronics. But their systems are pretty cheap from South Africa and I think they can sell as complete kits.

But really, Nodiz is UK based....I'd expect support would be better because of that.
For any coil to give its best, it needs the correct dwell. The EDIS module has the correct dwell for EDIS coils - it may not have for the Gems ones. The MegaJolt (or rather the one I've played with) is only designed to work with an EDIS unit.

Older tachs are usually connected to the coil negative. The pulse produced there is relatively high voltage - up to about 50v. The tach outut from an ECU usually 5v. And when you go to four coils, you need a pulse from each of them.

The Nordiz does look promising - but why on earth omit a vacuum sensor, since pretty well every dizzy has one. To allow more advance to be used at low engine demand and improve economy.

If I were looking for the cheapest new solution, I'd check out Speeduino. You can buy the boards on Ebay for not a lot. It can cope with 4 ignition channels, and uses the same tuning software as MegaSquirt (Tuner Studio) which is pretty good.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

GDCobra
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by GDCobra »

stevieturbo wrote:
There may be no problem at all but I like to consider what pitfalls I may encounter and pre-empt a solution to them.
I've asked a MJ vendor if it will work with GEMS coils and was told "Maybe but you are on your own if there are any issues".
DaveEFi has since indicated that some attributes (dwell in particular) are handled by the EDIS not the MJ hence if the value EDIS uses is not suitable for GEMS coils they will not work to their optimum, maybe not at all.

stevieturbo wrote:
Again, this may be a non-problem but want to know the options for working around.
Advice from Dave and Garry have provided 2 possible options for this.

stevieturbo wrote:

Thanks for the advice on Spitronics, I tried to have a look at their offerings on their web site but it's not very cooperative.
Also I agree a UK based manufacturer should be better able to support, and so far communications have been good. I suspect this is the way I'm going to go.

Return to “Electrical & Ignition Area”