Distributorless ignition using GEMS coils and Hotwire system

General Chat About Electrics, And Ignition Systems.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

GDCobra
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Re: Distributorless ignition using GEMS coils and Hotwire system

Post by GDCobra »

DaveEFI wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:08 pm
The problem can be when playing is you can power up the coils full time. Bit like having the points closed, ignition on. And burn out a coil or driver.

I must admit I've seen mention of that a few times on my 'Journey' but never fully understood it. My way of thinking of this is that the ignition ECU should turn the coil on (ignition driver allows a path to ground) only when it wants to fire. This should happen a period of time before the spark is required where that period is equal to the dwell time (3ms fixed on the Nodiz I believe) at the end of the dwell period it should go open circuit. So unless the system receiving a CPS input it should not turn on at all so the coils should be safe, even if it does turn on it should only do so for 3ms.
Maybe I'm missing somethng? And I do disconnect my coils when I'm 'playing'

The only way I can see that the coils could be left turned on is if there is some other path to ground, this is one reason why I don't really like having those diodes there. If there was a path to ground through them either due to a wiring fault or in the 14CUX ECU they could be left powered.

DaveEFI wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:08 pm
I'm really quite surprised Nodiz doesn't provide a suitable signal to drive an injection only ECU. There are loads of cars around with distributor ignition and electronic injection.
I don't know how 'odd' the 14CUX is though in that it requires a high(ish) voltage signal to detect the ignition pulse, perhaps other systems will work happily with a 0-12v square wave which the Nodiz does provide although that is NOT at the correct frequence for a V8.

Must admit I did get the feeling that the Nodiz is designed for 4 cylinder engines and has then been 'bent and twisted' to work(ish) on a V8 but not really properly integrated. If it works great, if not hard luck is the impression I got.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

It's the older 4 CU I'm more familiar with. It also has the external 6800 0hm series resistor in the coil connection to ECU. And with that removed, the 4CU triggers happily from a 5v signal. But seems the 14 CUX is different.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Bexam

Post by Bexam »

DaveEFI wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:19 pm
It's the older 4 CU I'm more familiar with. It also has the external 6800 0hm series resistor in the coil connection to ECU. And with that removed, the 4CU triggers happily from a 5v signal. But seems the 14 CUX is different.
This was one of those "suck it and see" problems for me, fortunately the 14CUX responds to the signal from the diode pack.

Return to “Electrical & Ignition Area”