Speedometer and Sensor Compatability

General Chat About Electrics, And Ignition Systems.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

FarnhamStag

Speedometer and Sensor Compatability

Post by FarnhamStag »

Hi guys,
I've just converted my manual Stag over to and Auto box and I'm having difficulty getting the speedo to work properly. The original system worked and consisted of a R380 manual box with a Rover SD1 electronic sender fitted into the mechanical drive. This then feeds the Rover cruise control and trip computer in parallel with a smiths speedo modded by speedy cables to take that signal. All worked well for 20 years and can be calibrated using rotary dip switches
The new auto box has no speed drive, so I'm now connected to the speed sensor in the BMW E28 Diff in the hope the sensor is compatible.
It works until about 40mph when it becomes very unstable, get to 60mph and its jumped to 135+.

The BWW sensor is 2 wire and is fed with 12v, moving the car a few metres back and forth with the sensor disconnected from the speedo toggles between either 6 or 12v output continuously so I'm wondering what sort of sensor it is and why it would toggle between the two voltages.
Looking at the speedo/cruise input I have about 420 ohms to ground.
Googling suggests the sensor is either a reed of hall, my original thoughts were to fit a parallel resistor to try and clean up a possible messy signal but if it's a reed switch this might overload things.
Any ideas on what I need to do to get this working with the Rover based bits?

Thanks

4.3 Big Valve V8, Rotrex C38-81, Intercooled, MS3X Triumph Stag.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Speedometer and Sensor Compatability

Post by DaveEFI »

A hall effect needs power to work - a reed switch not. If you get an on/off resistance reading from the sensor disconnected when you turn a wheel, it will be a reed switch - not that I've come across one being used for this.

Do you know what signal your device expects? IIRC, the SD1 unit pulses between 12v and 0.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

The Jaycar module allows you to adjust pulse counts, and certainly the old discontinued kit version allowed you to switch between either a square wave output, or simulated VR type output.

https://www.jaycar.co.uk/speedo-correct ... t/p/KC5435
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

edit this one....i have the discontinued one

https://www.jaycar.co.uk/speedo-correct ... medium=web
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Yup - built one of those (old Jaycar) for a mate in the SD1 club who'd fitted a box with no speedo drive - a T5? I've not seen the sensor, but IIRC he found a kit which fitted the propshaft.
Other thing to experiment with is a pull up or pull down resistor on the sensor output.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

FarnhamStag

Post by FarnhamStag »

Checked and it's reed switch, so I get about 1.4 ohms when closed which is about right with a reasonable length of cable. So I have a direct feed of 12v into this and this goes into the speedo/sd1 trip/cruise module and that ends up having around 420 ohms impedance.
How I get 6v/12v I don't know so will have to check that again.

I'm not sure what sort of current these mechanical switches are designed to take, my original idea was to reduce put a parallel resistor in place with the speedo to drive more current and possibly clean up the signal, but I don't want to compromise the life of the switch.

What would the Rover sd1 expect to see and what do I need to do to make up an interface circuit to make them compatible?

The Sensor in the diff is tucked up tight against the boot/petrol tank so removal involves dropping the BMW subframe/diff assembly which I'd rather not do.

Thanks again Dorian

richardpope50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by richardpope50 »

Why not contact Speedy Cables for a mod? They are still in Wales (next door to CAI who may also help).
Richard.
Dax Rush 5.0l TVR V8, EFI with Megasquirt ECU and wasted spark, Racelogic Traction Control and Quaife LSD ....... Now nut and bolt restoring a TR6

FarnhamStag

Post by FarnhamStag »

Thanks Richard, my speedo is from Speedy cables back in 1998! I have called and emailed them a number of times but as yet never had a response.
I've borrowed a small oscilloscope, so I'll have a play with that to see what's actually happening. It may just be a dodgy sensor :?

richardpope50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by richardpope50 »

Both Speedy Cables and CAI do not seem to answer e-mails and I remember leaving a message did not work for me once. Could be worth a try again.
Richard.
Dax Rush 5.0l TVR V8, EFI with Megasquirt ECU and wasted spark, Racelogic Traction Control and Quaife LSD ....... Now nut and bolt restoring a TR6

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Call them and they are usually extremely helpful

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

FarnhamStag

Post by FarnhamStag »

Thanks guys. I have did make contact with easy cables and they were helpfull but came to the conclusion that I need to send the speedo to them with a sensor to check compatibility and re-work if needed.
I have tried all sorts of pull up/down resistor and wiring combinations and nothing works particularly well (I get 50% of the speed in the early range and correct by around 60-70 MPH. Sometimes it also reads correctly, but mostly unstable.

Ideally if I knew what the output signal type of the Rover LT77 electronic transducer was this would allow me to source/make an interface that turns my reed sensor (Diff mounted speed sensor) signal into what ever the speedo, cruise control and Trip computer needs.

If I convert the speedo those other part still wont work.

Does anyone know what the Rover transducer gives out or how it works?
Unfortunately I left it fitted to the gearbox I sold.

Searching the internet seems to offer conflicting opinions

Thanks, Dorian

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

I'd use the reed switch to switch a transistor. Something easy to get like a 2n2222. Read switch to 12v and a 10k resistor from the other side of the reed switch to base. Emitter to ground. 1k between collector and 12v. Output from the collector will then switch between approx 12v and zero (depending on load). If what you're driving needs more current, you can reduce the 1K resistor to about 100 ohms.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

I know about the Range Rover Classic speedo transducer. It is 8 pulses per revolution, and is either open-circuit or 120ohms.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

FarnhamStag wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:04 pm
Hi guys,
I've just converted my manual Stag over to and Auto box and I'm having difficulty getting the speedo to work properly. The original system worked and consisted of a R380 manual box with a Rover SD1 electronic sender fitted into the mechanical drive. This then feeds the Rover cruise control and trip computer in parallel with a smiths speedo modded by speedy cables to take that signal. All worked well for 20 years and can be calibrated using rotary dip switches
The new auto box has no speed drive, so I'm now connected to the speed sensor in the BMW E28 Diff in the hope the sensor is compatible.
It works until about 40mph when it becomes very unstable, get to 60mph and its jumped to 135+.

The BWW sensor is 2 wire and is fed with 12v, moving the car a few metres back and forth with the sensor disconnected from the speedo toggles between either 6 or 12v output continuously so I'm wondering what sort of sensor it is and why it would toggle between the two voltages.
Looking at the speedo/cruise input I have about 420 ohms to ground.
Googling suggests the sensor is either a reed of hall, my original thoughts were to fit a parallel resistor to try and clean up a possible messy signal but if it's a reed switch this might overload things.
Any ideas on what I need to do to get this working with the Rover based bits?

Thanks
It is very unusual for a simple speed sensor to be 2 wire, AND 12v. Some ABS sensors may operate under similar conditions ( usually current sensing, weird ), but not simple speed sensors for say a dash or speedo.
But presumably it is not in the BMW anymore ? So some details of the sensor itself are needed.

How have you it wired ? Typical 2 wire sensors should not be powered, they generate a signal themselves from the metal passing over the sensor. If your SD1 sensor had 3 wires....the two signals are very unlikely to be compatible.

Ideally you need to scope each sensor to see the output so you know what each does, and also what you need.

This kit whilst allowing pulse adjustment, also allows you to switch between a digital square wave, and a simulated sine wave output ( accepting either input )

https://www.jaycar.co.uk/speedo-correct ... medium=web

But you need to know one way or another what you need rather than guessing.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

The SD1 sensor is shown in the schematic as two wire - one to 12v, the other to the speedo. And is definitely an active device. Of course, it may pick a ground via its body, but the schematic doesn't show this. Someone in the SD1 club unpicked the potting to get inside, and IIRC it contains 3 transistors.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Return to “Electrical & Ignition Area”