Efi loom

General Chat About Electrics, And Ignition Systems.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

berty
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Efi loom

Post by berty »

Right then i got a 3.9efi manifold from a rangerover with out injector loom
And i got a complete sd1 vittes 3.5 efi set up could the injector loom be use on 3.9

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Efi loom

Post by DaveEFI »

There are major differences between flapper and hotwire loom. Starting with the ECU connector.

The SD1 4CU (flapper) loom is also made of wire where the insulation tends to crack with heat and age. The later 14CU (hotwire) lasts a lot better.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

GDCobra
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by GDCobra »

As Dave says, many differences. Most obvious is AFM &idle air also any 14CU loom is going to be a bit long in the tooth these days. Be easier to buy a second hand one or make a new one.
Many diagrams on Internet.

berty
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by berty »

Ok guys thanks for reply so coull one pick up a good secondhand loom from for the 3.9 also could the 3.5 ecu work with the 3.9

GDCobra
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by GDCobra »

berty wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:26 pm
Ok guys thanks for reply so coull one pick up a good secondhand loom from for the 3.9 also could the 3.5 ecu work with the 3.9
You may find a good secondhand loom for sale but if you do I’d suggest checking it thoroughly as it may have been “tweaked”. It would also be a good idea to “de-clutter” it. I have just done this to my loom, removed all the A/C wires and relays and a couple of other sockets which don’t play any part in the system.

Although it may be possible to use the 3.5 flapper system on a 3.9 I’d avoid it all the components will be old and the Hotwire system is superior in every aspect IMO.

It also wouldn’t be a massive job to create your own loom, which would have the advantage of using new wires & plugs/sockets and dimensions to suit you installation.

Are you intending to use lambda sensors BTW?

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

berty wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:26 pm
Most 3.5 are flapper injection. Most 3.9 hotwire. The ECUs are totally different.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Return to “Electrical & Ignition Area”