3.5 Carb unable to start as no spark

General Chat About Electrics, And Ignition Systems.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Badlandy

3.5 Carb unable to start as no spark

Post by Badlandy »

Hi I have a 3.5 on carbs its sat on a pallet at the moment and I want to get it running before installing in to my landy, I have purchased a new Dizzy 35d type with the amp fitted to the side, a new coil to suit as a package deal, I've wired the 2 cables to the coil + & - and also run a 12volt feed to the coil via a switch and connected a earth to engine and tried to fire it up or at least try and see a spark at plug 1 I short out the large nut and the single spade connection on the starter but nothing is happening other than just turning over am I missing a trick? Once I have proved a spark I will then be looking at adding fuel to try and run it but trying to walk before running.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 3.5 Carb unable to start as no spark

Post by DaveEFI »

Just to check - this gives the connections to the amp:-
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Badlandy

Post by Badlandy »

Yes got it connected as the DAB 118 But i have also earthed the brass spade connection which is fixed to the dizzy not sure if this is correct?

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Sounds like you've wired it all up just fine. On the original Lucas unit, it just grounds via the engine block. Not sure it much matters, as even with the clamp loose to do the timing, it still sparked OK here.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Return to “Electrical & Ignition Area”