PowerLite Starter.

General Chat About Electrics, And Ignition Systems.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

PowerLite Starter.

Post by DaveEFI »

Bought a Powerlite starter from Rimmer some time ago - certainly more than a year. It is the reduction gear after market type. It has worked very well indeed, spinning the engine over nicely on the coldest days easily - unlike the original Lucas unit.
But it is now apparently throwing itself out of engagement before the engine starts - the engine stops turning, but you can hear the motor still running, if the key is held in the start position. It did get oil spilt on it from a leak now sorted.

I've never had one of these apart. Is it worth trying to fix - or just buy a new one? Removing an SD1 starter isn't the easiest of jobs, and I rather not spend time on trying to fix something that can't be done.

Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

minorv8
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Re: PowerLite Starter.

Post by minorv8 »

I have not had these particular ones apart but an aftermarket unit instead. It was a clone of factory Bosch unit. The reduction gears exploded into million pieces and what is funny, it was 13 months from purchase. I took the reduction gear pieces back and asked if the 12 month guarantee was this well figured out. What is funny is that these gears are plastic. I got genuine Bosch parts for free and these were also plastic ! This was almost 10 years ago.

Never fitted it though, I bought another starter with metal gears, don´t remember which make it is. Could actually be Powerlite, too. Denso based conversion.

Rebuild is straight forward, you need to remove it anyhow be it replace or rebuild.

r2d2hp
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by r2d2hp »

I would give Powerlite a call as believe they have a 2 year warranty..

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

According to the PowerLite terms and conditions, a 1 year warranty.

Just wondered if anyone had one apart. Seems to me it is the solenoid which engages the drive sticking. And somewhere at the back of my mind, someone else mentioned this. But maybe not on this forum.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

r2d2hp
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by r2d2hp »

Am I looking in the wrong place

WARRANTY POLICY
At Powerlite we pride ourselves not only quality of our products but also on our customer service.

You can be assured that every Powerlite unit is manufactured to the highest possible standard, using all of our 40 years of experience in rotating electrics.

On the rare occasion one of our units should fail to work we have the following warranty policy in place.

Powerlite operates a “no-quibble” warranty procedure on all units whereby a returned unit will be credited in full or repaired Free of Charge.

However, this warranty policy is conditional, subject to the following basic conditions:

Powerlite units, with the exception of “Dynalites” (see point 2) will be considered within the warranty period if it is returned within 24 months from date of sale or 20,000 miles completed, whichever comes first. We realise that units may be held by our customers before fitment i.e. renovation / rebuilds and we will always use discretion in such circumstances. The company’s decision is final in this matter. All units returned must be accompanied by a Powerlite warranty form filled in with all appropriate details. Forms can be printed direct off our web site.
All “Dynalites” are subject to a lifetime warranty (manufactured 01/01/2017 onwards). In the event that a Dynalite fails in service, we will repair the fault free of charge or issue a free of charge replacement unit. This warranty policy is also subject to the basic conditions set out below.
The unit had been fitted correctly by a competent mechanic or auto electrician following Powerlite fitting instructions.
The unit has not been stripped or part-stripped, abused, modified or tampered with in any way.
The unit has been fitted to the correct vehicle application and the vehicle has not been modified from original specifications i.e. flywheel modification.
If requested by a member of Powerlite staff, proof of purchase / fitting dates and mileage must be provided. Please see our warranty form.
There are no evident or obvious physical signs for reasons of failure as described in the list below:

Ingress of engine oil, water, dust etc.
Damaged or broken terminals due to over-tightening or loose connections on fitment.
Broken fixing brackets, or any sign of accidental damage to any part of the unit.
Damaged pinion teeth due to faulty ignition switch, incorrect ring gear / fly wheel.
“Burnt out” units, due to faulty ignition switch or relays.
Damage, wear and tear due to excessive use.
Please note – this is not an exhaustive list, and Powerlite reserves the right to reject warranty on a returned unit at our discretion.

In the event of dispute, the company’s decision is final.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

I looked at the terms and conditions on their site. :D

14. All products supplied by The Company are guaranteed for 12 months from date of sale from the Company. Faulty products will either be replaced free of charge or a credit note will be passed for the equivalent value. Please also see Eurolec Warranty Policy for further details.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

richardpope50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by richardpope50 »

I have a powerlite starter too and it is great. I had a querey so contacted the company and had a very detailed response from the boss. Why not just contact them?
Richard.
Dax Rush 5.0l TVR V8, EFI with Megasquirt ECU and wasted spark, Racelogic Traction Control and Quaife LSD ....... Now nut and bolt restoring a TR6

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

I have contacted them, and not had a reply yet. Due to how awkward it is removing an SD1 starter, I'd rather not have to wait for the unit to be repaired.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Just an update. Didn't mention this is the second PowerLite starter I've had with the same fault. Motor turns with the key, but only sometimes engages with the flywheel ring gear. About 1 out of 10 attempts. So you'd not want to stall on a level crossing. :D I did contact them, and got a standard replay offering an exchange service, at about £160. Not a lot less than the Ebay price of £205 delivered for a new one. So left it. Given it's more than a Lucas starter.

Then, rather oddly, got an email from one of their tech guys weeks later, sort of offering a free repair. Just for info, the car only does about 1500 miles a year on average since I've used these starters. But may have had an oil leak onto them - now sorted.

So just sent off the first one for repair. So I can simply swap them if they offer to fix it for a reasonable sum.

Wish I could find a description of how they are made - exploded view, etc. I'd always thought a pre-engage type wouldn't run at all until the pinion was engaged with the ring gear.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Blown v8
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Blown v8 »

Let us know how you get on,
A lot of us are running them, and are watching you

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

As I said, I have two RAC 318 units, both with the same fault. Turn the key, and the motor runs, but doesn't engage with the ring gear every time. A few goes and it does.

Sent the original one back to PowerLite. Second one still on the car, as it still can be used - but you wouldn't want to stall on a level crossing. :D

Got this email from them:-

Hello Mr Plowman, hope you are well. We received your starter back and I have a few observations:

1) The unit is 10 years old so has had quite a long service life
2) Our suspicion is that there has been a modification to the starter fitment aperture / bell housing, ring gear or flywheel, hence the issue of not engaging fully.

I can't remanufacture this one for you I'm afraid but I can offer you a brand new unit for a discounted price of £175.50 + VAT, inclusive of free carriage. I must advise however that we are cautious that the same mesh problem may occur so we would strongly advise that you check your setup before going ahead.

Please let me know how you wish to proceed.

Kind regards

I did point out that this unit was only in service for about 5 years, and on a car which does very few miles. It is insured for 3000 per year. Also the engine is original and never been out of the car, or had any work done on the flywheel/ring gear. So rather at at a loss as to what they mean.
There was obvious wear to the front half of the pinion. Polished, rather than matt black. But no where enough wear to prevent it engaging with the ring gear.

It would appear they don't offer a repair service of any sort. Merely importers. And their discount on a replacement hardly generous, given the new Ebay price of about £225.

I did find an exploded view of a similar Denso geared starter, and it looks to me like replacing the pinion/over-run clutch assembly would be the way to go. But dunno if this is a Denso part, or a special. On the exterior of the starter, the only part which seems to be a special is the housing which mates to the RV8.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Starter returned today. Here's a pic of the pinion - by implication too worn to engage.

Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Bit of an update.Got given another PowerLite for an RV8 with a burnt out motor. On mine, it is the drive or whatever faulty as the motor ran just fine. So made one out of the two. They appear very well made indeed and easy to work on. All the bearings are sealed ball races, apart from the idler gear in the gearbox which has a simple roller bearing. Only thing I can't think of a way of testing is the one way (over-run) clutch, which appears to be a sealed unit. My unit had a sheared bolt. No idea if this was from new, or after it was returned to the dealer. But don't see how that would have effected the operation.

Powered it up on the bench with a jump start pack. With the starter well clamped in a vice. Seems fine.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

For those who may be interested and for later ones searching the same problem. Finally found the reason.
The problem is the starter running each time you turn the key, but sometimes not engaging with the ring gear.

Maker said it was just wear and nothing could be done, other than replace the starter.

Powering up the starter on the bench showed the problem. Once the solenoid had extended the pinion fully, there was nothing to restrain the pinion on its spline - it could move back on the spline and not mesh with the ring gear. Free running on the bench it wandered back and fore on the spline of its own accord.

The pinion should be secured on the spline by a washer at the back located on a shoulder on the spindle, a spring which bears on that, and a washer and snap ring at the front. All contained within the pinion body. Allowing the pinion to move perhaps a couple of mm against spring pressure on its spline. This rear washer missing totally. I assume it broke up at some point and just fell out. So nothing to keep the pinion in mesh with the ring gear.

Had I been able to find a decent exploded view of the drive, I might have found it earlier.

WOSP do complete pinion kits for their starters which are based on the same Denso unit. They all come with the pinion, two 'washers', spring and snap ring. At about £40. I've contacted one of their dealers to see if the can supply the fitting kit without the pinion. If not, I suppose I could buy the whole kit. Annoying when all it needs is that washer. (I've obviously not seen it, but guess it may be splined and maybe hardened, so not just a plain washer)
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Blown v8
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Blown v8 »

I’m glad you’ve finally sorted it. 👍