Dumpy dizzy.

General Chat About Electrics, And Ignition Systems.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Dumpy dizzy.

Post by DaveEFI »

Ages ago, when converting to EDIS on my SD1 EFI, I bought a dumpy dizzy at a spares day somewhere. There's a fair bit of oil around it on the engine front. The body O ring was good. Could the way it was cut down allow it to leak oil? I've got a converted dizzy to provide a can signal waiting to go on, and that has the full length shaft, so better shaft bearings and the full length oil thread, but didn't intend fitting it until I change to MS3 and sequential everything.

To explain - I've got lots of oil leaks on this pretty high miles engine (about 200,000 miles) but it runs beautifully. So not quite sure if I'm chasing my tail due to excess crankcase pressure. But if you remove the oil filler cap, it doesn't puff at idle.

Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Re: Dumpy dizzy.

Post by ChrisJC »

It is only the o-ring that seals it isn't it. Mind you, I have had leakage from the threads around the distributor securing bolt.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

What's a dumpy dizzy ?

If unsure about excessive crankcase pressure.....stick a map sensor in and log it

Does it have adequate crankcase breathing ability ?
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

I've got wasted spark ignition with a toothed wheel on the crank pulley. Meaning the only function of the dizzy now is to drive the oil pump. So one cut down to just the drive shaft part looks rather neater.

The breather system is standard 3.5 EFI engine. All cleaned and seems clear by blowing through it. But do get some oil from the intake on the back of the left hand rocker cover. I'm sure the engine could do with a complete overhaul as it's original. Except that is still runs very well indeed.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Return to “Electrical & Ignition Area”