DTA E48 on RV8?

General Chat About Electrics, And Ignition Systems.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

turbodave

DTA E48 on RV8?

Post by turbodave »

I’m building an SD1 for a supposed “budget” race series, and would like to use the E48EXP I removed off my mini a few years ago (upgraded to Emerald for all the extra bells and whistles).

It’s an engine, so I’m sure the DTA E48 has been used many times on the Rover V8 (Serp 3.9 with dizzy).

I assume I use just one of the ignition amps (which gives me a “spare” given that these are reported as ‘fragile’)
What coils do folks recommend? Traditional, or an amplified unit?

The only other thing I’m not sure is how best to wire up 8 injectors... Not sure on injectors yet, but almost certainly I will be using scrapyard issue stuff, and no doubt high-impedance. I’m targeting a solid 250hp btw.

Any pointers would be appreciated

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: DTA E48 on RV8?

Post by DaveEFI »

If you have a working dizzy, you could use your ECU fuel only?
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

turbodave wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:02 pm
I’m building an SD1 for a supposed “budget” race series, and would like to use the E48EXP I removed off my mini a few years ago (upgraded to Emerald for all the extra bells and whistles).

It’s an engine, so I’m sure the DTA E48 has been used many times on the Rover V8 (Serp 3.9 with dizzy).

I assume I use just one of the ignition amps (which gives me a “spare” given that these are reported as ‘fragile’)
What coils do folks recommend? Traditional, or an amplified unit?

The only other thing I’m not sure is how best to wire up 8 injectors... Not sure on injectors yet, but almost certainly I will be using scrapyard issue stuff, and no doubt high-impedance. I’m targeting a solid 250hp btw.

Any pointers would be appreciated
E48 only has 2 injector drivers, just follow wiring and say left bank and right, or whatever wiring mode is convenient.

You can only use high impedance.

E48 has does have 2 ign outputs but you must use a distributor and it would require a conventional inductive coil type setup via one output. Pretty sure you do not have the option of a coil with a built in ignitor on the E48. No real need to anyway. Standard operation is simple.

Never heard of them being fragile.

Just wire as per diag...it's simple.

http://www.dtafast.co.uk/download_files ... iagram.pdf
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

turbodave

Post by turbodave »

Thanks Stevie,

I was also surprised to hear of the supposedly fragile ign drivers; I personally never had a problem.

Is the stock Landrover coil good enough for a track engine, or should I look at an upgrade? Any suggestions?

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Been so long since I used any old inductive coils....really don't know.

I did use some of the Crane stuff on mine years ago, both the setup with and without their Hi6 amplifier. I think it's the PS91 or PS92 coil....but that's soooo long ago. One must be used with the Hi6, the other can also be used directly from the ecu

Would need to check, I might still have one lying somewhere.

But I'm sure Real Steel or some of those guys would sell something suitable for a dizzy/inductive setup that doesnt cost too much.

or cheapest option....just use what you have until there is an actual problem. It's just a coil change, so would never be difficult later on anyway.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

Return to “Electrical & Ignition Area”