Remote ignition amp

General Chat About Electrics, And Ignition Systems.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

rpm015

Remote ignition amp

Post by rpm015 »

I have a 35dlm8 dizzy on a 3.9efi rover with a remote amp, when I bought the engine the lead from the dizzy to the amp was missing, I've bought a new amplifier, the question is from the small connectors on the side of the dizzy which wire goes to which connection on the amp? Does polarity matter?, I know where the ones to the coil go it's the coil to dizzy I'm struggling with, can you buy a pre made cable?
Cheers
Roger

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

I don't actually know if polarity matters in this case, but since it's a VR sensor, likely yes. But as it's the same amp which fits on the dizzy (I think) not difficult to see which went where from that?

If you can't but a ready made cable:-

The connector pins are small spade types as found on car speakers. You can buy terminals for them from Vehicle Wiring Products. You'll need 2 x male and female. I dunno if there is a suitable connector body, though.

For cable use twin screened. Easiest source is balanced microphone cable - a decent music shop that sells guitars etc should have it by the metre - or Maplin, etc. Sometimes called XLR cable. Sleeve the terminals with heatshrink if there's not enough room for their usual covers. Only connect the screen to chassis at one end.

Since, as I said, I don't think you'll find suitable connector bodies, I'd secure the cable each end with a P clip etc.

If making cables isn't your thing, I have all the bits to make one here.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

rpm015

Post by rpm015 »

Thanks for that, I've no problem making up the cables it's just that there didn't seem to be a specific way a connector would fit at the amp end and apparently no pre-made long lead available, I'll get the solder and heat shrink out and have a play!

Roger

Return to “Electrical & Ignition Area”