Axtive coils

General Chat About Electrics, And Ignition Systems.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Yes - I know the LS coils are often mentioned on the MS forum as being ideal and cheap as chips in a US scrappie. But not in the UK. Hence asking if there were was something similar that was common in the UK.

Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

kusanagi

Post by kusanagi »

The coils I am using are from a vw mk4 golf 2.0 gti ( also skoda Octavia ) and they do have the high current drivers built in and will work off a logic level input from a megasquirt ( these are also listed in the megasquirt hardware manual with the part no's for both the coils and connector leads ), each coil in the pack is independently fired via the logic level output for its respective cylinder. I will be using these again for my mustang when I get around to fitting the engine.

P.S. eurocar parts sell the packs for about £95.
3.5l v8 Triumph Spitfire
351 ci Cleveland powered 71 mach1

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Thanks. Ideally, I'd like single coils. To keep HT wiring to a minimum. But that is a good solution at a reasonable cost.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

One of those coils on each rocker cover and LT and HT wiring would be minimal
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

SuperV8
Guru
Guru

Post by SuperV8 »

I seem to remember the latest MS manuals recommending triggering your coils externally via module or smart coils and just leaving MS with the logic output rather than switching the high current coils internally.
I changed from triggering the coils internally/directly to externally/logic level via Bosch coil modules and this cured my random 'noise'/sync issues I was getting.

You could use these with your ford coil packs effectively turning them into smart coils which would save the need to change your HT side and would be your cheapest route but obviously if the main reason to change is to reduce HT wiring length then this is no use.

Tom.
Dax Rush 4.6 supercharged V8 MSII

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

I've never liked the idea of fitting multiple high current coil drivers inside MS - having repaired a few done like this. Can see why an MS dealer might do it - but not if DIY.

My curent setup, MS2 batch injection and EDIS, works pretty well. But I'm going to update to MS3x and sequential injection, so might as well change to sequential ignition too. As I'll be interested to see if it makes any improvement. I can sell the EDIS bits to defray costs.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

garrycol
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by garrycol »

Dave - why do you want to go to sequential injection? I have looked into this.

Sequential in relativity only provides benefit at lower revs where it improves emissions and gives a bit more torque due more precise fuel delivery.

However at higher revs a sequential system is almost the same as batch as the fuel delivery process cannot keep up with the induction process and the sequential pulses lack ever so slightly - the result is with each suck the intack is also sucking left over fuel from the previous injection.

So at higher engine revs while the injectors are injecting as they should the actual induction fuel charge ends up being like a batch system.

So really unless you want the benefits of sequential at lower revs cinsider whether you really need it.

Having said that, I am going sequential as my engine was OEM sequential but that is the only reason.

Just something to consider.

Garry

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

This popped up on FB, no idea who the seller is though

They look like the D585's that are popular with some

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162713380944?ul_noapp=true
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Better low speed torque would be worthwhile on my car - as it's just a road going auto, and since I live in London spends quite a bit of time at low speeds.

Thanks for the heads up on those coils, Steve.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

I really doubt you'd ever be able to measure the difference between batch and sequential, unless you spent countless hours on the dyno optimising the sequential setup.

Certainly not saying dont go sequential, if you can there's no reason not to. But if you're expecting to feel the difference, I'd say you will be disappointed.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

I'm told I should feel a difference at low revs with sequential injection. Wasn't expecting to with sequential versus wasted spark. Just that because I'm going to do so many alterations anyway, now would be the time to do that. As it's not going to give inferior performance to EDIS, I hope. :D
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

SuperV8
Guru
Guru

Post by SuperV8 »

Regards EDIS, I thought the limitation was at high rpm, where there isn't time to fully saturate the coils? - better than a single coil but not as good as individual coils per plug.
Probably not an issue on a Rover, more so on a high revving 4.

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

SuperV8 wrote:Regards wasted spark, I thought the limitation was at high rpm, where there isn't time to fully saturate the coils? - better than a single coil but not as good as individual coils per plug.
Probably not an issue on a Rover, more so on a high revving 4.

Depends on rpm as you say, how long the coil actually needs ( they are not all the same ) and how much spark the engine even needs.

Limitation...for most coils, that limitation would be more than any RV8 will ever see ( aside from a poor downshift lol )
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

SuperV8
Guru
Guru

Post by SuperV8 »

This
Suggests "EDIS-8 tops out at 7000rpm maximum, less on some models. "

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Certainly no problem with EDIS causing problems at high revs on my standard EFI. Even if you lock it in first and rev to 6000 rpm. :D

I'll try and summarise the advantages of going from EDIS to MS controlled spark.

MS gets the full 36-1 set of pulses from the crank sensor rather than the one per firing from PIP. A higher resolution signal allows for more accurate/quicker control.

MS can set any rev limit you want, spark wise.

MS can also control dwell.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Return to “Electrical & Ignition Area”