Ceramic ACELL ceramic plug leads

General Chat About Electrics, And Ignition Systems.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Bart
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Ceramic ACELL ceramic plug leads

Post by Bart »

Hi,

I want to delete the stooopid spark plug extenders on my Chimaera as I think they may be causing me some problems, plus they are a pain to get on and off. They are just there to move the lead boots away from the header heat.

Has anyone any experience of plug wires like these with ceramic ends?

https://www.holley.com/products/ignitio ... arts/9002C

I think as they are ceramic, they may be quite delicate, and still a pain to get on and off.

The other option is to use normal leads like Moroso, and then cover them with heat sleaves, but they are bloody expensive unless you get cheap Chinese imports on ebay, and I don't feel it's a very good solution.

dnb
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by dnb »

I have the Accel leads and so far I am happy with them, but I have hardly used the car this year. They are a bit fragile, but it seems managable.
One thing is certain, I am never going back to those Beru things - the new ones TVR parts are selling are nothing like as good as the old ones - the plastic cracked and they arced on mine within 3000 miles.

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

How close do they run to the manifolds ?
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

Bart
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Bart »

Cheers for the info dnb.

Stevieturbo, the boots on my current leads are straight, and they are close to touching on no 8 if I connect them straight to the plug. Just tried a lead with 135 deg boot, and that clears easily. More than half an inch from the header. Just have to be careful to not let the leads themselves flap about and touch the headers. Might just go for Moroso leads and switch to the ACELLs if I end up cooking the Morosos.

minorv8
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by minorv8 »

I have used MSD products and had these with dizzy ignition.

https://www.msdperformance.com/products ... arts/31193

You can bend the spark plug terminal to a desired angle (hence the "multi-angle"). Have not had any issues with these.

I currently have el cheapo Rimmers wires with the wasted spark and really feel that I should upgrade to something better. I was thinking about Magnecors but there is quite a lot of rant about their quality.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Not sure I've read anyone ranted over Magnicor quality - only the excessive price. And the claims for that type of cable.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

For the most part, as long as the leads are ok and do not leak....they will work.

I've had basic cheapy leads on mine for a couple of years...keep meaning to upgrade, but then why when they're working lol
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

I needed custom length ones when I fitted EDIS to my SD1. Had plenty used original EDIS ones for the connectors, so carefully removed the boots and opened up the connectors which are crimped. Found some suitable diameter silicone cable from one of the many suppliers online - one which used a resistive plastic core which is IMHO the best choice. Crimped using a BNC crimp tool which I already had - but are cheap to buy as common. No problems in some 7 years.

Thing is there seems to be no one stop shop for all car wiring stuff - you need to do some searching to find the bits you need. And of course know what you want - as someone does probably supply it.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

SimpleSimon
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by SimpleSimon »

I use Accel spiral wound leads with the bendy ends (adjustable to your requirements) on a Chimaera but I am on Ford gen1 coil packs I just crimped my own ends for the bespoke style Ford coils, I do use thermal socks too however 8-)
TVR Chimaera RV8 Mods & Megasquirt

minorv8
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by minorv8 »

Not sure I've read anyone ranted over Magnicor quality - only the excessive price. And the claims for that type of cable
Google "Magnecor problems" and there is a bunch of various examples.

But to be honest, any product will probably give similar experiences :-)

MSD and ACCEL products are not cheap either.

Return to “Electrical & Ignition Area”