Which alternator - v8 3.5 petrol??

General Chat About Electrics, And Ignition Systems.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

atkinsal

Which alternator - v8 3.5 petrol??

Post by atkinsal »

Wonder if someone can help.

I've rebuilt and fitted a v8 3.5 to my Series 2a but it looks like the alternator is on its way out. It is making an intemitant screeching noise that is defintely not the belt. I bought it new from Rimmers bros about 12 months ago but as there wasn't one on the old motor I wasn't sure I'd bought the right one.
This is the one I bought:
https://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-STC234P

My mate who fitted it told me he had to switch the case round to get it to fit (the one I bought is RH).
Anyone know which one I need. I bought a right hand one thinking it would work but it looks like I may need a LH version? The engine is a early 80s 3.5 without aircon or power steering fitted to a series (as per photos).

Any advice appreciated part numbers would be really appreciated.

Thanks
Alex

Rossco
Moderator Gold
Moderator Gold

Post by Rossco »

There are a lot of variants but you can on some at least move the front cover around to make a RH into a LH and vice versa.

Also with a little fettling you can usually get any variant to fit any of the Rover V8's.

So the answer is you have an alternator that will fit, you may just need to play around with mountings and orientation.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

I got a real bargain of a brand new 100 amp later type on Ebay. The later type has the fan built in, and is a one piece casting, so you need to get the correct 'hand'. But was an easy enough fit to my SD1 EFI otherwise.

Must admit to never having heard an alternator itself squealing, and dunno how it could.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

I would just buy another of the same. It will save a ton of faffing around with belts, adjusters, mounting brackets and wires.

Those ones are designed to be able to have the hand swapped.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Return to “Electrical & Ignition Area”