MS1Extra/EDIS8/RV8 assistance please?

General Chat About Electrics, And Ignition Systems.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

scudderfish
Site Admin
Site Admin

MS1Extra/EDIS8/RV8 assistance please?

Post by scudderfish »

I'm trying to see if I can work out what my engine is doing during starting. If you have a RV8 controlled by a MS1 Extra and EDIS8 for spark, could you do me a big favour and send me your .msq file and a log or two of it starting please? I want to compare and contrast with what I have.

My email address is dave.g.smith@gmail.com

Regards,
David

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

I'm using MS2 and EDIS, so my tune file would be no use to you.

What problem are you having? Mine isn't a quick starter which I reckon is down to fuel evaporation when the engine stops after being hot.

If I start the car from cold the night before then stop it before it heats up (not good practice) it then starts promptly the next morning.

So a log of it starting may not help much either. :D
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

scudderfish
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by scudderfish »

It's more an educational exercise on my part, trying to understand exactly what I'm seeing in my logs with respect to the engine status bits, temperatures and spark angles. When I examine my logs I get a couple of reads of circa 400rpm, then the cranking bit switches on, spark angle changes from 17 to -0.1 and the engine bogs down to 75-100rpm until it fires, crank bit switches off and the angle goes back to 17(ish). When it is hot it can stall the starter for a second or so before it finally fires. It's not heat soak on the air temp sensor as that is still reading circa 30C when the coolant is up in the 90s (climbed since shutdown). I'd like to know what the MS does to start the engine, I'm even reading the source code to the firmware to get some hints :)

scudderfish
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by scudderfish »

I've been having a bit of a play. I unplugged the coils and injectors and span it over. The starter spun it at about 120rpm but occasionally dipped down towards 70. I think my starter motor is just a bit rubbish. I'm going to get a high-torque starter and see how it goes.

Return to “Electrical & Ignition Area”