Cheap Aftermarket Ignition ECUs

General Chat About Electrics, And Ignition Systems.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

garrycol
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by garrycol »

Dave I know you are totally correct but having trouble finding reference to where the "pipe" is on the board.

I can see pics of the completed MS3X in its case and can see the manifold pressure hole in the case and the bit of pipe but when I look at pics of the 3 boards I do not see the connector on what I assume the underside of the main board.

So I can see it on the completed item but not on pics of the board. Looking at my parts I do not see it either.

Looking at the construction instructions and pics I can not find any reference to this but there it is as you have said in the completed item. But then I just skimmed the build and setup instructions quickly again but may have missed something.

I will just continue following the build instructions and keep this in mind as I use up the provided parts - then compile the three boards and link them.

But I certainly now understand what you mean about where the connector that the vacuum pipe connects too should be.

Thanks

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

I gave the details of the bag to look for in the kit earlier. It is a small round black device about the size of a 50p piece which fits to the underside of the PCB, secured by two nylon nuts and bolts. It could be yours is missing - but that would be very unusual.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

As it's a normally aspirated build....you could forego MAP and just run TPS vs RPM too.

Although I'd always prefer to have MAP too.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

garrycol
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by garrycol »

DaveEFI wrote:I gave the details of the bag to look for in the kit earlier. It is a small round black device about the size of a 50p piece which fits to the underside of the PCB, secured by two nylon nuts and bolts. It could be yours is missing - but that would be very unusual.
Finally found it - a little bag inside a bag inside a bag

Actually the bag was not called U2 MPX 4250 but simply U2 MAP Sensor - couldn't be easier.

Just got a find it in the instructions now but we will get to in due course.

I appreciate all your patience with this.

Thanks

Garry

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Great you've found it. MS kits are usually checked very carefully, I've found. If rather wasteful of packaging. :D

Keep us informed of how you get on. I don't know personally of another MS/Thor build.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

garrycol
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by garrycol »

For your information - I managed to fire up the new engine on the old carbs and just EDIS 8. Fired first go on starting fluid and once the petrol came through the carbs did run a bit. No coolant in there at the moment or carb throttle cable or choke cable so not continued running but she fired up.

Thanks for your help and diagrams etc.

I need to move this vehicle under its own power a few miles at the end of the month and as long as I don't go over 2000rpm, being stuck on 10 BTDC should not be an issue but there are some hills which may cause some issues with retarded ignition.

I will crack on and try and finish the MS3X so it can provide more advanced ignition at revs for the move.

Garry

garrycol
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by garrycol »

Just an update - I moved the vehicle today - drove really well with just EDIS 8 providing the ignition - engine starts first go and I was able to drive up to about 80kph and revs up to 3000 with no issues at all - including up steep hills - would not have known the ignition was fixed with no advance being provided with increasing revs and load.

I would certainly not have driven it faster or with much higher revs but it does go to show that EDIS 8 as a default is good enough to get you home if needed.

I ran it on petrol and gas - no issues on either.

Garry

SimpleSimon
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by SimpleSimon »

EDIS 8 is old hat nowadays (small limitations) but a very very robust ign system all the same 8-)
TVR Chimaera RV8 Mods & Megasquirt

Return to “Electrical & Ignition Area”